Synchronize Vaults to Include in All Vaults

tonytx05
tonytx05
Community Member

Would it be possible to synchronize the setting for Vaults to Include in All Vaults across your devices? I created a new vault to archive logins I don’t use anymore (don’t ask why I don’t delete them, I don’t have a great answer for that). When unselecting that vault, it’s be nice if that setting synchronized across all my devices so I didn’t have to do that on each one myself.

Comments

• Hi @tonytx05

The difficulty with doing so would be that not everyone has all the same vaults on all of their devices. For example, I have a 1Password account for work, one for home/family, and one for the non-profit I work with... but I might not have each of those on each device. Figuring around that possibility / eventuality adds a fair bit of complexity. That isn't to say that it would be impossible, or that we wouldn't consider doing it, but it would take a fair bit of work and comes with the possibility of causing confusion for customers.

Ben

• tonytx05
    tonytx05
    Community Member

Ben,

Wouldn't syncing such a setting be similar to syncing logins that only belong to a single account? If a particular account isn't set up on a device, it doesn't sync those logins. I would think this would work the same way, if that account isn't on a device then the setting doesn't get synced.

Also, I would think that far more people are using a single account as opposed to having multiple, much less more than two 1Password accounts!

Thanks,
    Anthony

• Also, I would think that far more people are using a single account as opposed to having multiple, much less more than two 1Password accounts!

You may very well be right, but considering 1Password Business memberships come with an included 1Password Families membership for each employee to use at home I bet this number is a fair bit higher than you're expecting. :)

Wouldn't syncing such a setting be similar to syncing logins that only belong to a single account? If a particular account isn't set up on a device, it doesn't sync those logins. I would think this would work the same way, if that account isn't on a device then the setting doesn't get synced.

The difficulty isn't so much syncing the data from point A to point B. As you say, we've already built the mechanism for doing that. The difficulty comes in determining how to handle that data in a sensible way in all the various configurations 1Password users might have. It isn't quite as simple as one might like. As I say though, that doesn't mean it is impossible, or that we wouldn't consider doing it. :)

Ben

• tonytx05
    tonytx05
    Community Member

Fair point on the family plan included with the business plan, I hadn’t considered that.

I appreciate you looking into this down the road. You talk about confusing customers, consider the flip side of how confused I was getting offered logins that I had moved to the vault I’m trying to exclude from search results. It took a minute to realize I had to turn that vault off on each device, which is what prompted the post here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Makes sense. Thanks for your feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.