Touch ID to unlock

Options
pablocruz23
pablocruz23
Community Member

One time about a month ago, I had it set up where I could use Touch ID to unlock 1Password. Then one day that abruptly stopped working. Now, even though I have it set to do exactly that, it never works. I am never asked to provide Touch ID to unlock, only the passcode.

See attachment which shows I've got the setting turned on.

Touch ID works fine on my Mac generally. It just stopped unlocking 1Password.

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pablocruz23: Hmm. Can you tell me more about this?

Then one day that abruptly stopped working.

What was the time frame? What else happened around that time? We've seen some reports that updating macOS broke Touch ID. If you disable it in 1Password and System Preferences, and then set it up again, does that help?

• pablocruz23
    pablocruz23
    Community Member
    Options

Glad you asked. Actually, it was when our IT guy resurrected my machine after a crash and changed the password on my computer's account. It hasn't worked since then. Everything else works fine including Touch ID to unlock the machine from sleep.

I just deleted my fingerprint from Touch ID and set it up fresh. It didn't help. When I lock 1Password, the only option is to type the password, not use Touch ID.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad you asked. Actually, it was when our IT guy resurrected my machine after a crash and changed the password on my computer's account. It hasn't worked since then. Everything else works fine including Touch ID to unlock the machine from sleep.

@pablocruz23: Ah okay. I knew there had to be something. Glad your Mac is otherwise back up and running.

I just deleted my fingerprint from Touch ID and set it up fresh. It didn't help. When I lock 1Password, the only option is to type the password, not use Touch ID.

Thanks for confirming. It was worth a try, and that and the other information you gave me let me know what the problem is: the data in your Keychain does not match the Secure Enclave in your Mac, which 1Password 7 uses for Touch ID security. This isn't something we -- or 1Password can fix for you. 1Password doesn't have the power to modify OS files. It will be necessary to either reinstall the OS or have it recreate the Keychain so it has the correct data for 1Password to use. This Terminal command should work, but should only be done after making a full disk backup, just in case:

Open Terminal and enter this command: sudo mv ~/Library/Keychains ~/Desktop

The OS should then recreate it after rebooting. If all is well, the keychain that was saved to the Desktop can be deleted. If you're not comfortable doing that or continue to have Touch ID issues, be sure to contact Apple for assistance.

This discussion has been closed.