Terrible use of space

Options
steves123
steves123
Community Member

Guys, this is brutal-

http://i.imgur.com/j41ZtO4.png

Why the single column? The labels and data blend into one another. Being able to easily pull information from your app is the reason 1Password exists and at this it is failing. Making your app useable comes before whatever gains you get from sharing code with the mobile version of your app.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @steves123! I'm not sure what made you think that "sharing code with the mobile version of your app" was either a priority for us or the reason for what you're observing here. Can I ask you what happens if you shorten the width of the 1Password main window? The only time I've seen that wide a distribution of the fields is if someone's resized the window of 1Password on a very large/high resolution screen. In such a case, it isn't US who've made the decision to give 1Password a lot of space, it's the user. Here's what a screenshot of a test server item on my own 7.2.4 setup looks like:

If you had specific suggestions for that, I'd be happy to hear them.

• steves123
    steves123
    Community Member
    Options

The issue is you're stacking the labels above the data. The result is a jumble of content that is far less readable than content being placed in two columns.

Compare my mockup on the left to the current layout on the right-

With the two columns it's immediately clear what is 'my' data and what are labels generated by 1Password.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @steves123

This was an intentional design decision, and not the result of sharing code between mobile and desktop. One example of why this change was made is so that something like this can be done:

This wasn't really possible with the two-column design, which necessitated doing something like this:

(this screenshot was taken in 1Password 7, but imagine it with the 1Password 6 UI with two-column layout)

Ben

• steves123
    steves123
    Community Member
    Options

Couldn't the questions act as labels in the left column and the answers as data in the right column? Even if it wasn't possible, seems like a bit of an edge case to warrant a significant usability downgrade, no?

• Ben
    Options

Even if it wasn't possible, seems like a bit of an edge case to warrant a significant usability downgrade, no?

I would say it is one of the most common things custom fields on login items is used for.

Couldn't the questions act as labels in the left column and the answers as data in the right column?

It was possible, but with a long question it created a displeasing visual situation. There was a fair bit of discussion on it back when 1Password 7 was in beta here.

Ben

• steves123
    steves123
    Community Member
    Options

I'm entirely confident it's possible to find a solution to this without putting the entire app into a singular, columnar blob of text as evident by no other desktop app doing this.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the subject. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.