Any way to reduce number of logins when using 1PX in chrome and firefox and the using the app?

Greetings,

In my job I have to use multiple browsers for a whole bunch of reasons, but mostly I use Firefox and Chrome. All day long. Right now my workflow goes like this:

1. Start Firefox, open some page, click login.
  2. Click the 1passwordX icon and login to 1passwordX.
  3. Do some stuff.
  4. Fire up chrome cause i need to use it for a certain thing, go there, click login.
  5. Oh crap, have to login to 1passwordX in chrome, do so.
  6. Do some stuff, now I have details I need to update in a server item in 1password
  7. Fire up the 1password app
  8. LOG IN AGAIN. ARRRGGGGHHHH :)
  9. Update the server item.
  10. Lock my computer and go do some stuff.
  11. Come back and start over at #1.

Between the three, I login to 1password about 20-30 times a day. Then for some reason I need to use Opera. Double ARRRGGGH.

First, is this the expected behavior or do I have something set wrong?

Second, if this is correct behavior, is this something that is going to change in the future or is this how it's going to be?

FWIW, I can now type my ~15 char master password in like half a second in my sleep. :)

It would be super nice to be able to unlock them all at once, but I understand if that's not possible. It's not a huge deal, and mostly just an annoyance cause I can't seem to remember I need to unlock each one until I'm trying to use it and can't.

Thanks!
Joe

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 1.13.2
OS Version: Windows 8.1
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• Hi Joe,

I'm not aware of any way for a browser extension in one browser to securely communicating secrets to a browser extension in a different browser, which is what would need to happen for this to work as you've described without a native app installed on the computer. We are looking at the possibility of having 1Password X integrate with 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows which if implemented would make this possible. One of the advantages of 1Password X is that it doesn't require the native apps, but this would be a case where having one installed could be incredibly useful.

Ben

• jboren
    jboren
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Yea, that's what I was trying to describe, since I use both the browser plugins and the native app. I feel like the old browser extensions did this but I've been on X long enough I may not be remembering right. It would be great if the X browser extensions talked to the app so unlocking one unlocked them all, so I hope you guys can make it work!

Thanks!
    Joe

• The traditional browser extensions do indeed communiate with the native app so whenever the native app is unlocked so are the browser extensions (and vice versa). We'd love to bring that same communication to 1Password X, but it isn't quite as simple as copying and pasting some code over. ;)

Hopefully something we'll be able to do though. I've very much like to have it for my own setup as well, as I too use 1Password X almost exclusively at this point.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.