1Password vault location on version 7.2.4

Options
max023
max023
Community Member

I have a big list of chunks of passwords, some of them have huge text notes and I think this has caused too much lag to load them. I want to clean up the notes but I am not sure where the vault/password files are located on Mac so that I can find the password vault file and clean up the notes.

Please advice.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• max023
    max023
    Community Member
    Options

BTW is there a way to order them by size right away in the 1password app?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @max023! I'm not quite sure what you mean by "too much lag to load them." If you're using a 1Password account, your data syncing should be very quick, and it shouldn't depend on the size of your items...within reason. If you've got hundreds of MB of data appended to one or more items, that might change, but I can't imagine why you'd need that. To answer your follow-up question, no, you can't organize items by size. The sort options are available in the drop-down menu at the top of the item list in the main 1Password window. If I'm not understanding your question, can you elaborate a bit on it for me?

• max023
    max023
    Community Member
    Options

sorry about the unclear statement.
    What I meant is that I have about 2000 passwords saved and those passwords there are notes with so many text so I think it has caused some lag issue when I am trying to browse through that's why I want to know where to access the vault file

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@max023 - 1Password's actual data is saved in the following location:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data

I should caution you, though, that this data is encrypted, and cannot be "browsed" via any means other than the 1Password interface.

• max023
    max023
    Community Member
    Options

So another solution would be to move them to Dropbox or local storage? Or any other workaround so that i can find the password with huge notes on them

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019
    Options

@max023: I think maybe it's worth backing up a bit. It sounds like you're storing a text list of passwords. That's not really what 1Password is for, for a few reasons:

1. Passwords in a list of notes can't be checked for vulnerability. If you save separate Login items for each account, you can easily see with Watchtower what passwords need to be changed, and improve your security -- and avoid leaving yourself open to attack.
    2. Passwords in a list of notes can't be filled in your browser. If you save separate Login items for each account, you can use the 1Password extension to fill them on websites. That's only possible with a Login item, and only if you have the username and password saved in the appropriate fields there. Saving the login using the browser extension allows 1Password to better understand the webpage to fill it later.
    3. Also worth noting, having 1Password fill passwords is not only more convenient, but also avoids putting passwords on the clipboard where other software can access it.

It sounds like not storing the passwords all in a list in a single item would help with the issue you're describing, but it would also just allow 1Password to make your online life easier -- and safer. Let me know what you think.

• max023
    max023
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty

I agree with every statement however, my problem is that i have accidentally pasted some random digits through my password database at that time during pasting the 1password app crashed and when i reopen it, it opens but when i type something on the search it goes very laggy.. My guess is its because of the texts that i just pasted that is causing this lagging.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@max023: Ohh. Thank you for clarifying! I was just about to email you to ask for more details, so we'll continue the conversation there.

ref: ZYM-93634-131

This discussion has been closed.