Sync a 1Password.com Vault to a local folder?

BLD
BLD
Community Member

Is it possible for a specific 1Passwords Family client to sync a 1 Password.com vault to a locally shared location and then have another 1P standalone client access it?

I have a shared vault stored on 1Password.com that I'd like a 1Password standalone client on a VM running on the same host as 1P to be able to access.

Is this possible? I was hoping to avoid the hassle of another guest user and a round trip to the Internet and back.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BLD - not currently, no. 1password.com vaults are stored on the server, and while yes, there's a local cache of the data in every 1Password native app, the kind of headaches - up to and including data loss - that would be introduced by trying to allow sync via other means with standalone clients would be...let's just say monumental. I'll be straightforward with you: I seriously doubt this is something we're going to be pursuing anytime soon either, owing to the Pandora's box of issues/complexity I suspect it would open and the amount of time even attempting to code such a thing would require.

• BLD
    BLD
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

@Lars Understood. That said, 1P already slaps a bunch of disclaimers and "Danger, Will Robinson!" signs on the Local Folder syncs in general -- why should this be any different? Where does 1P cache shared vaults locally on a Mac? I was digging around in ~/Library/Application Support and didn't see anything that stood out.

Update: ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/B5.sqlite

looks like the winner.

I was wondering if a hack that might work would be if I pointed a 1P local vault on my VM at a shared file that corresponded to the host 1P's local cache of the 1P.com shared vault?

Yes, I'm out in the weeds, here. Perfectly understood if you ignore this. ;-)

• looks like the winner.

That's the one.

I was wondering if a hack that might work would be if I pointed a 1P local vault on my VM at a shared file that corresponded to the host 1P's local cache of the 1P.com shared vault?

Not something that we support or could recommend. We don't support accessing 1Password vaults through a network share, which is what this would be doing.

Yes, I'm out in the weeds, here. Perfectly understood if you ignore this. ;-)

:)

Ben

• BLD
    BLD
    Community Member

@Ben Okay, Ben no good deed goes unpunished. ;-) Since you answered me at all, is that shared vault sqlite DB in the same format as a non-shared vault would be? If not, even I'm not willing to hack further than that. :-P

• The 1Password cache file isn't split up by vault. All of your vaults are in that one cache file.

Ben

• @BLD

It is also not safe to have multiple instances of 1Password accessing that database file simultaneously, so bad things will absolutely happen if you point your VM at that database at the same time under two copies of 1Password. I believe the second one should indicate that it’s a second copy trying to access the database, if you’ve pointed it at the data folder

This discussion has been closed.