Is it necessary to number multiple websites: website 2, website 3, website 4 ?

markaceto
markaceto
Community Member

It's cleaner (screenshot attached), and less work renumbering websites after reordering them, but I'm wondering if there's any functionality tied to the numbering convention that I would lose by not numbering them?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@markaceto ,

Not that I'm aware of. Just click the one you want/need to use; if the site redirects to another one of the URLs or its subdomain, fill will work as expected. I don't bother labeling them. The labels are for you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@markaceto - it's not necessary for 1Password, if that's what you mean. They're labeled that way by default for ease of identification, but you can of course remove the number, if you like, on a per-website basis.

• markaceto
    markaceto
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Thanks, @mrc and @Lars .

Also, I'm not sure how to interpret secure1.store... , secure2.store... , secure3.store... in the screenshot above.

Sorry for the novice question but did those auto-populate each time I revisited store.apple.com in Safari (before importing them)?

Clicking each of them from within 1P takes me to https://www.apple.com , so could I delete all of them, add apple.com , and let 1P do it's thing moving forward?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2019

@markaceto

When sites use host pools to share their web load (i.e. round-robin DNS, or load balancing hosts), you'll see this. You'll get dispatched to some random host (often numbered) in their pool, and you end up with that host in 1Password if you save the credentials.

$ host store.apple.com
    store.apple.com is an alias for store.apple.com.edgekey.net.
    store.apple.com.edgekey.net is an alias for store.apple.com.edgekey.net.globalredir.akadns.net.
    store.apple.com.edgekey.net.globalredir.akadns.net is an alias for e2850.a.akamaiedge.net.
    e2850.a.akamaiedge.net has address 104.96.97.137
    $ host secure1.store.apple.com
    secure1.store.apple.com has address 17.149.156.23
    $ host secure2.store.apple.com
    secure2.store.apple.com has address 17.171.29.13
    $ host secure3.store.apple.com
    secure3.store.apple.com has address 17.179.208.10

To be less pedantic, you can just save store.apple.com instead of the three numbered hosts (in this case), and likely even just "apple.com" is sufficient.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Yep. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.