How can I encrypt the file containing 1Password exported items?

macstever99
macstever99
Community Member

I want to encrypt the folder containing unencrypted 1 Password items. What is the best method to do that?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.2
Sync Type: local wi fi? or bluetooth?. Standalone 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:What is the best way to encrypt 1Password exported items?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @macstever99,

We wouldn't recommend storing 1PIF (1Password Interchange Format) files any longer than they're explicitly needed but if you must then as they're merely a text file you can use any encryption method you wish. For example macOS supports encrypted disk images so that's one way using what comes with macOS for free.

• macstever99
    macstever99
    Community Member

Thanks. I just wanted a backup in case the unanticipated (for example, if 1Password stops supporting Apple OS's or decides to go out of business [perish those thoughts]) happens. But perhaps there is a better way to hedge against this than encrypting a disk image of 1PIF.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@macstever99 - I'm with littlebobbytables, meaning: I wouldn't recommend it. A static export in .1pif (or any other format) of your 1Password data is just that: static. Unless you plan to make a new export, re-encrypt it with whatever 3rd party method you're using and replace the old with the new, each and every time you make a change to your data, then that data will be out of date to whatever degree you've let it wait since the last time you exported.

I certainly understand (and commend!) the urge to have failsafes and backups of your data. But in both the cases you mentioned, you'd have plenty of time to make changes you need. We can't retroactively uninstall our app from your Mac, nor delete your data. If we were to vanish as a company tomorrow, 1Password would still operate as it does now...leaving you plenty of time to use the existing export feature to take your data to whatever new solution you wish. And I can't imagine us deciding not to have an Apple presence any longer (1Password began life as a Mac application), but should that ever happen, there would be plenty of advance warning from us, along with an explanation and copious assistance for people to transition to other platforms or other solutions.

• macstever99
    macstever99
    Community Member

Lars: Thanks for your insight. Your argument is a strong one. I also backup my data to Time Machine, Backblaze, and Carbon Copy Cloner so I guess that adds additional protection about loss of passwords. Encrypting .1pif is, no doubt, superfluous and rather obsessive.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@macstever99 - a little, maybe, but I'd almost always prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to important data. I'm a "belt AND suspenders" person when it comes to such things. However, this is one of the few cases where I feel as if a "hard copy" is of minimal value, especially if you're conscientious about other forms of digital backups, which it seems obvious you are. :)

• macstever99
    macstever99
    Community Member

Thanks for the excellent customer support. 1Password is one of my most used and valuable Applications. I hope it will always be available and remain as reliable as it currently is. I also hope the standalone version (which I use and prefer) will remain a customer choice. The syncing between MacOS and iOS is an excellent feature, and, hopefully, continues to be the the standard.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@macstever99 - thanks for the kind words. :)

This discussion has been closed.