Suggestions for 1Password

DrDave6
DrDave6
Community Member

I have two suggestions for 1Password:

1) It would be great if there was a forum for suggestions. Otherwise, where do people provide suggestions?

2) It would be GREAT if 1Password for Mac could unlock 1Password, using their Apple Watch. I use Apple Watch to unlock my Mac and that's sweet.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:suggestion

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DrDave6

It would be great if there was a forum for suggestions. Otherwise, where do people provide suggestions?

Right here. :) You're in it.

It would be GREAT if 1Password for Mac could unlock 1Password, using their Apple Watch. I use Apple Watch to unlock my Mac and that's sweet.

This one's been requested a few times over the last couple of years or so and while I agree it would be a very cool feature to have, I don't see it being a reality any time soon, for two main reasons.

First, more and more Macs these days have Touch ID on them, and may soon have Face ID. That's as easy if not easier than unlock with Apple Watch -- certainly there is a significant degree of overlap there. The number of users who'd benefit from Apple Watch unlock is reduced to those on older hardware, or the decreasing number of new Macs that won't have either Touch or Face ID, and those who for whatever reason choose not to enable it. That's a shrinking pool of users, no matter how you slice it. Not to say we don't care about them, just that anything we spend developer energy working on means other things are shelved or back-burnered for a while.

But the much more important reason we haven't pursued this is because we haven't found a way to do so that meets our security requirements. The reason you're able to unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch is because Apple makes use of an internal API that accomplishes this in a secure way, but they have (as of yet) not released this API to 3rd party developers like us. Without a native way to do it (i.e. - Apple's API), we'd be forced to try to come up with a way to store a version of your Master Password somewhere, and that's just not something we're willing to do, since it can't be encrypted and thus would be obtainable by an attacker who came into possession of your watch. If Apple releases this API to developers, or if we can find a way that meets our requirements for users' security, then this might indeed be something we'd pursue, but until that happens, almost certainly not. I realize that's probably not the answer you were hoping for, but it's the current state of things.

• DrDave6
    DrDave6
    Community Member

To the contrary, it's exactly the answer I wanted to hear - you have prioritized security over convenience. Thank you for the detailed response - really appreciate that.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DrDave6 - great! I'm glad I was able to shine some light on things, then, and thanks for the question and suggestion. Have a great rest of your week! :)

This discussion has been closed.