I currently have 2 Vaults- Personal and Primary (on iCloud) Do I need both of these?

RoYJT52
RoYJT52
Community Member

I'm a single user and am trying to tidy up my passwords. I don't remember setting up a second vault and am confused about its use. I have several other IOs devices and would like to keep things as simple as possible.

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @RoYJT52! I'm sorry for the confusion. The "Primary" vault is the default vault that's created in all standalone 1Password setups the first time you launch the app. You may have had such a vault for years, if you've been with us for a while. The "Personal" vault -- unless you specifically created a vault and called it "Personal" yourself -- is part of a 1password.com membership/account ("Personal" is the default vault for 1password.com accounts). Did you recently (or at some point in the past) create a 1password.com membership/account? Perhaps when you upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac? It sounds like that's what might have happened, and also that you chose NOT to remove your Primary vault at that time. If so, you'd have had those two vaults, each with an identical copy of your data (1Password 7 would have copied the contents of Primary into Personal, assuming you'd be deleting Primary). If this is the case, I can give you simple instructions to delete the Primary vault and use only your 1password.com account (which is what I'd recommend), but I'd be a little careful about this if I were in your shoes, since if you've been adding to/deleting/editing data since the time you created the account, you may have done so in either or both of those vaults. That might mean the data - which started out identical - is now somewhat different. You can check this by opening first one vault, then the other, and setting the sort order to Date Modified, and seeing if any data is changed in either location. Is it?

• RoYJT52
    RoYJT52
    Community Member

Lars, Thank you for your comments. This is exactly what has happened as I have been using 1PW for a number of years and just recently updated to 1PW7. You've also correctly anticipated my actions. I'll make the checks you suggest and will appreciate any further advice. thanks for your help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@RoYJT52 - glad to hear that's the case. Assuming you've compared the data and moved over from Primary > Personal any items that were in Primary but not in Personal -- in other words, once you feel confident you have a complete and up-to-date copy of your data in Personal, then it's quite easy to remove the now-redundant Primary vault: click Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." You'll be required to enter your Master Password to do this, but afterwards, you should be running only your 1password.com Personal vault, with all your data inside.

On other devices (iOS, other Macs, or what have you), again, assuming there is no data there that is NOT in Personal, just use these instructions to reset the data there and sign into your 1Password account. Let me know if you run into any troubles! :)

This discussion has been closed.