Passcode for 1Password 7

dabehm
dabehm
Community Member

I upgraded from 1Password 6.8.8 to 1Password 7.2.4. I cannot open 1Password 7 with the passcode I used for ver. 6. I rebooted my computer. Still no joy. How do I access 1Password 7?

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 7.2.4
OS Version: OS X 10.14.2
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @dabehm! I'm sorry for the confusion/trouble. 1Password 7 for Mac is a completely new version and as such, requires either the purchase of a new standalone license or a 1password.com membership/account. During the setup for 1Password 7 for Mac, you would've seen the following Purchase Options screen, with the option to sign into an existing 1password.com account, purchase a standalone license, or subscribe to a new 1Password account.

Do you remember which of these things you chose? If you did not have a 1password.com account previously and chose the new membership sign-up option, you would've been asked to create a new Master Password for your new account. This could have been but would not have to be the same as the one you'd previously been using in 1Password 6 for Mac. Might that have been the case? If so, can you recall the Master Password you chose for the new 1Password account?

• dabehm
    dabehm
    Community Member

Hi Lars. I clicked the "Subscribe Today" button and signed up for the 1-user subscription account. At one point in the process I was presented with a page "1Password Emergency Kit" which contained a "Secret Key" and a blank space for a "Master Password." I printed this page to put in my safe deposit box. I plan to use the same Master Password for ver. 7 that I used for ver. 6. Did I goof up somewhere along the way? Was I supposed to enter my Master Password before I printed?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dabehm - thanks for the additional information. I would not say you "goofed up," but if you created a new Master Password when you created the account, you should definitely have either edited the PDF to add the Master Password to it digitally or written the Master Password down in ink on the Emergency Kit...for just such eventualities.

In a 1Password Teams or 1Password Families account, an administrator or Family Organizer can help you recover your account, but with an individual account where you are the sole proprietor and member, there's no one but you. So if you forget your Master Password or lose your Secret Key, you're just as out of luck as you would have been if you had forgotten your Master Password in a standalone setup. We can't reset your Master Password for you because that would be a huge security hole. Unfortunately, the down-side of that is that if YOU forget it...then the account and any data in it will be lost, permanently. We can't decrypt it for you because we don't have the keys, and we can't reset it. :(

That said, DON'T PANIC (in the words of Douglas Adams). I think there may still be a way to do this. Was your previous copy of 1Password 6 for Mac purchased from the Mac App Store, or directly from us?

• dabehm
    dabehm
    Community Member

Hi Lars. I am not absolutely certain, but I think I bought it directly from you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dabehm - OK, great. Here's what we're going to do, then:

1. Quit Safari if it is running.
    2. Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    3. Delete 1Password 7 for Mac. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to your Mac's Trash, then empty the Trash.
    4. Visit our downloads page and scroll down to the section "Using an older computer." You'll see version 6.8.9, download that.
    5. Run the 1Password 6 for Mac installer, and when you launch version 6 for the first time, you should see the lock screen. Entering your Master Password should show you all your previous data, just as you left it. :)

Let me know how that goes for you. :)

• dabehm
    dabehm
    Community Member

Hi Lars. When I launch 1Password 6.8.9 I am asked for a Secret Key, but I don't think I have a Secret Key. I was previously using ver. 6.8.8. Also, I just verified that I did in fact purchase ver. 6.8.8 thru the Mac App Store

• dabehm
    dabehm
    Community Member

When I went to the downloads page I saw that 1Password 7 is in beta. I was not aware of this when I downloaded ver. 7. I prefer stable releases to beta. Can I re-install the ver. 6 Safari extension? I can't find it in the Mac App Store.

• dabehm
    dabehm
    Community Member

I found the Safari Extension on your web site. Thanks for your help, but I will continue with ver. 6 for now.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dabehm - if you originally purchased 1Password 6 for Mac from the Mac App Store, then you'll need to re-install from there. But now you'll also need to delete our version. So please Quit 1Password 6 and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then drag that version to your Mac's trash and empty the trash. Open the Mac App Store and click your name in the lower-left corner. This will show you your previous purchases; locate 1Password (no number, just 1Password), and click "install." That should get you back to your standalone data.

• dabehm
    dabehm
    Community Member

Thank you, Lars.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dabehm - you're quite welcome! Let us know if you have any additional issues or questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.