Can 1Password Account Export files be delete?

Options
2»

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2020
    Options

@swrobel

I confirmed with our development team. How they are supposed to work is: once per day going back 30 days, then once per month going back 2 years. The pruning algorithm is complex, so additional exports may be kept until you have two full years worth to work from.

You are welcome to manually delete them if you wish, however that may interfere with the automatic pruning that 1Password does.

Ben

• SirGatez
    SirGatez
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I was doing some cleaning up on my 256GB MacBook Pro. And I noticed I also have this problem. This machine is only 2 months old and I have 11.6GB in AccountExports, and about 500MB in b5DownloadedResources. Can you clarify if these are needed, and if there is an option to disable or reduce accountexports? I use a 1Password subscription so keeping a large number of local "backups" is unnecessary and eats away at the small disk in this machine.

• @SirGatez

There are no user-facing controls over how often the Account Exports are created. The current schedule is once per day going back thirty days, then once per month, going back two years.

If the Account Exports are taking up large quantities of your drive, you can remove them if needed. 1Password will start making new ones.

• SirGatez
    SirGatez
    Community Member
    Options

Could you please add a manual control to disable or reduce the backup frequency? I feel like having to manually remove them is more of a hack to this problem than a real fix. Even if the option is only addressable via a plist change it would still be immensely helpful for those of us with limited disk space.

I think daily backups are a bit excessive for me as I don't make changes every day. So I would like either a means to disable, or a way to change the frequency. Thank you.

• SirGatez
    SirGatez
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

I would also like to inquire what the restore strategy is? if there isn't at least a user based semi-automated method of restoring from these backups,, then making them doesn't seem nearly as useful if we have to reach out to support to restore from any of them.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SirGatez:

Could you please add a manual control to disable or reduce the backup frequency?

Backups were made once per day even years ago with standalone vaults, so this is sort of the default setting. Thank you for the suggestion however, this is certainly something we can consider for the future :+1:

would also like to inquire what the restore strategy is? if there isn't at least a user based semi-automated method of restoring from these backups,, then making them doesn't seem nearly as useful if we have to reach out to support to restore from any of them.

Indeed, as was mentioned earlier in the discussion, this is the foundation for a backup/restore feature, but all of this will definitely be more useful once this has been fully implemented :)

• unitof
    unitof
    Community Member
    Options

On a 2-month old M1 MacBook pro with 1Passwod 7 from the App Store, I have 12 AccountExports at 141.8 MB each. I've search my Vaults for any entires with attachments and have none with attachments. I have 591 items total. What causes these to take up 142MB per automatic export? Do I have some hidden large attachment somewhere I can remove?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@unitof:

Do you have any entries in your Documents category?

• unitof
    unitof
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana I do, but only 5 and the largest is 71KB, at least according to the "file size" in 1Password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@unitof:

If you want to try and understand which vault is the heavy one, you can try unzipping one of the account exports and navigating the folder structure. Do you notice any folder that is much bigger than the others?

• unitof
    unitof
    Community Member
    Options

Update! Turns out I did have a large Document in trash, so it wasn’t showing up under the regular Documents category.

I’ve now emptied my Trash and will see if future daily zips are smaller.

Some followup questions:

1. Does Trash never empty itself, only manually?
    2. I realized I also had a bug on launch, 1P was showing trashed items in the All Vaults list of items. Is that by design?
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@unitof:

Thank you for the update!

Does Trash never empty itself, only manually?

Only manually. It does not delete data automatically for security reasons.

I realized I also had a bug on launch, 1P was showing trashed items in the All Vaults list of items. Is that by design?

That is not by design, trash items should not appear in the regular list view. This is however a visual bug that our developers are aware of and are trying to track down, so hopefully we will have an update for this soon :)

• gkgriffith
    gkgriffith
    Community Member
    Options

I need to free up space on my hard drive and I see that inside my MacBook Pro's hidden Library files there is an AgileBits folder taking up 15 GB. The largest subfolder is AccountExports at 11.38 GB (~Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/AccountExports). Can all or any items (like older ones) be deleted from the AccountExports folder be deleted?

Thanks!!

1Password Version: 7.7
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: macOS 11.2.2
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: forum-search:Can I delete 1P Library Files?

• gkgriffith
    gkgriffith
    Community Member
    Options

I've previously asked this question and have now found more recent answers. It seems that those AccountExport files can be deleted. Correct me if I'm wrong!

• Ben
    Options

Hey @gkgriffith

I've merged the two threads about this. If you have any questions not answered above please let us know. The short answer is that we'd generally recommend leaving the files in the Library folder alone, but if you absolutely must delete the AccountExports to free up disk space it is safe to do so.

Ben

• MichalDataOps
    MichalDataOps
    Community Member
    Options

Just an update on that from my end. Had quite a lot of export files there for my quite limited SSD drive so I went ahead and removed all except todays one. I reciovered 3GB but better yet after application restart it has become super fast on my Macbook Pro!

For the past year the application has become really slow everywhere and search for anything took few seconds so it could be a great solution in the interim if one's installation becomes really slow.

Mind you, I've been a happy 1Password user since 2013 (8 years, blimey 8-) ) hence I guess it has got quite packed with old data and storing currently 2121 entries excluding ones archived/trashed.

• @MichalDataOps

That's an interesting observation. Thanks for sharing. I recall 14 years ago and the day I first visited the forum back in version 2. Time sure does fly by.

• Tibimac
    Tibimac
    Community Member
    edited July 2021
    Options

The problem is still there. I have 42 .zip named "1Password Account Export XXXX" and if I could understand the needs of a backup (though I only use 1Password.com accounts so everything is always synced!) it's not necessary to keep 42 backups ! And there's 1 .zip per day (for the day I used my Mac) for the last 3/4 months and 1 per month before.

Keeping 1 per month for 2 years seems too much IMHO!

It's not serious to consume the disk space like that without any consideration if the storage capacity used by the app!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback @Tibimac, and sorry for the inconvenience! We will make sure to let our developers know about your thoughts on this :+1:

• ikirstein
    ikirstein
    Community Member
    edited July 2021
    Options

This seems to still be an issue. I have a TB hard drive... but this still seems quite big. I don't see any user settings to control the bloat...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ikirstein:

Thank you for chiming in on this as well. Indeed, there have been no updates since my last post 3 days ago, sorry for the inconvenience!

• OldAviator
    OldAviator
    Community Member
    Options

In my case it appears 1PW may have gone a bit overboard with containers and backups.

have a look at my Grand Perspective map. Compare the dark red blocks on right (1PW) with the green photos on left. IIUC, it appears 1PW files may exceed 25 GB. That's for 2 vaults, 570 items, excluding the app !

Here's a screenshot of a Grand Perspective scan
    https://share.getcloudapp.com/2NuPlLbE

Does 1PW on Mac BigSur really need all this space?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@OldAviator:

Based on what my colleague Ben wrote here, it might need more space the longer you have been taking automatic backups. How far back in time do your backups go?

• OldAviator
    OldAviator
    Community Member
    Options

In my case it appears 1PW may have gone a bit overboard with containers and backups.

have a look at my Grand Perspective map. Compare the dark red blocks on right (1PW) with the green photos on left. IIUC, it appears 1PW files may exceed 25 GB. That's for 2 vaults, 570 items, excluding the app !

Here's a screenshot of a Grand Perspective scan
    https://share.getcloudapp.com/2NuPlLbE

Does 1PW on Mac BigSur really need all this space?

• OldAviator
    OldAviator
    Community Member
    Options

Was hoping for something like this, as my 1PW files exceed 30GBs !
    I have NEVER thinned out any backup/export files. I often directed 1PW 6 to make backups, but I "assumed" new backups overwrote older ones. Maybe a Preference somewhere I can set?

My (non application) files consist of three groups-
    1- App Spt Account Exports- 19+GB
    2- App Spt 1PW Backups
    3- Container App Spt Backups

I SELDOM go "under-the-hood" on My mac - ie messing with App Spt folders or Container files/folders
    so I want to check here first

Assuming my 1PW is running fine, which/how many of the above 3 groups can I safely delete?
    Actually, since my 1PW is running fine- can I trash them ALL and let 1PW grow new ones?

Thanks all for any suggestions- I could really use the extra SSD space

tia

Old Aviator

(flying the the 2nd greatest experience one can have. . . . landing is the first :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It looks like our replies overlapped @OldAviator, please see my previous post :+1:

• matthias79
    matthias79
    Community Member
    Options

is there any update? I've just deleted 10 GB.

• Ben
    Options

This will be improved in 1Password 8. :)

Ben

• miggitymac
    miggitymac
    Community Member
    Options

This is good to hear, Ben, because I just deleted 35Gb of backups. Since I have two accounts on my machine, 1 personal and 1 business (for the company I work for), the backups are huge. About 1Gb a piece. I'm excited to see what version 8 has in store.

• Hey @miggitymac:

We're very excited about 1Password 8 too! 😃

Just so you know, it's currently available in beta now if you'd like to give it a try: https://1password.community/discussion/122136/1password-8-for-mac-beta-🥰#latest

Jack

This discussion has been closed.