Local synching only

chris000
chris000
Community Member
edited February 2019 in Mac

Hi, I have a monthly subscription. Initially I managed to setup my account to sync over my local network only so that the passwords are stored on my devices only, and nothing to sync with the 1password cloud. I had no passwords stored in the cloud. This was working fine until I added my wife's 1password app to my account, then all the passwords suddenly started syncing to the cloud. Now all new passwords and edits are synching to the cloud and across all my devices. Is it possible to go back to the way I had it before, with local WIFI synching only, and no passwords stored in the cloud? I understand the advantages of cloud syncing, but my personal preference is local syncing... it worked fine up until now.

Thanks! :)

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: OS X 10.14 and iOS 12.1.4
Sync Type: local network

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@chris000 - there are two main ways to use and pay for 1Password -- with a 1password.com account, which is paid for by monthly or annual subscription, includes all of our native 1Password apps (Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS), and stores data and syncs via the 1password.com servers, OR as a standalone product that uses a license for the specific version you want to use, and your data is created and stored on your device and synced only if you choose using one of our approved advanced sync methods (WLAN, Dropbox, iCloud).

If you're interested in keeping everything local, I'd strongly recommend going with standalone licenses and not a 1password.com account. You can't sync 1password.com vaults via any other method than 1password.com's servers, so that would mean you'd have to specifically create new, standalone vaults to get local syncing, while leaving (but not deleting) your 1Password account's vault(s). It can get confusing. If you have a 1password.com account, can I ask why you created it, if you want local syncing?

• chris000
    chris000
    Community Member

Hi, thanks for that. While I’ve heard of a stand-alone license, I couldn’t find this as a purchase option. The only payment method I could see is the monthly/annual subscription. During the 30 day trial, I was able to sync locally though, even with a 1password account (with the passwords removed from the online account).

If I get a license, does a separate license have to be purchased for each device sepertly?

Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@chris000 - if you download/install 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store, you won't have the standalone license purchase option, because in version 7, we made the decision to have the Mac App Store version of 1Password be subscription-only. That may explain why you didn't see the license option. If you had our version, however, you should've seen this purchase options screen, with the license option:

To answer your question, no -- a single license for 1Password 7 for Mac will allow you (and only you) to license version 7 on as many Macs as you own/use. If there are other people in your household who want to use 1Password 7 for Mac, they would need their own licenses, however, and also licenses for 1Password for Mac do not work for 1Password for Windows. If you needed both platforms, you'd need a license for each.

• chris000
    chris000
    Community Member

Great, thank you for clarifying. So if I purchase one license for my Mac can I also install the app on my cell phones, or are separate licenses needed? Also with the license option, is 2FA and/or a security key available?

Thanks! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@chris000 - in standalone 1Password, you can still add website TOTP codes to Login items, but the ability to use 2FA for 1Password itself is a function of 1password.com accounts, so you won't have that in standalone 1Password. Likewise, the Secret Key is a function of 1password.com accounts, and does not exist in standalone 1Password. On mobile devices (Android and iOS platforms), 1Password is free to install and use the basic features. On each platform, there is a $9.99 in-app purchase which unlocks the Pro features, for those who want them. That, too, can be installed on as many of the same type of device as you own/use with a single purchase.

• chris000
    chris000
    Community Member

Thanks for that :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@chris000 - you're quite welcome! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.