Long time user ... now a confused user

alphi
alphi
Community Member

I have used 1Password for years (and Pro) - my agilebits support login was created in 2007. Anyway, a great product that I have recommended to countless people.

Until today, the way I have used 1Password (v6.8.8 Mac App Store) is that I have a vault synced with dropbox, so does my wife, and so do each of my three children. We each have our own vaults, and we all use the one purchase of 1Password via Family Sharing to access our own individual vaults.

Today I downloaded 1Password 7 from the App Store.

I am now confused.

Can I continue to use 1Password (i.e. v7) in the way I have for years?
Do I have to subscribe to a 1Password membership? Can each of us in the family subscribe to the same membership, or will that give my 14 year old daughter access to my vault as well?
Do I have to subscribe to 1Password Families to get the same functionality as I have had previously for extra cost?
Do I have to subscribe to a 1Password membership at all? If I don't will 1Password7 simply access our dropbox hosted vaults as before?

Thanks
Alun

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@alphi 1Password 7 is a new, paid upgrade. You can trial it for thirty days before you need to provide payment. Note, however, that there are two different ways to go. You can Subscribe or you can buy a stand-alone license. The license purchase is now per-person, per-platform and per-version. For the Family subscription, you can check out the info here: https://1password.com/families/ . You can of course continue using 1Password 6.hth

• @alphi,

Also worth mentioning in addition to @vplewis' comments is that the Mac App Store version is a subscription-only product. If you need a standalone license you'll need to switch over to the one we have directly on our website. https://1password.com/downloads

Can I continue to use 1Password (i.e. v7) in the way I have for years?

1Password 7 is a paid upgrade for standalone (dropbox synced vaults), or included with a 1Password.com subscription.

Do I have to subscribe to a 1Password membership?

If you buy a standalone license, then no. Its per-person, per-platform as @vplewis says.

Can each of us in the family subscribe to the same membership, or will that give my 14 year old daughter access to my vault as well?

A family account is really a bundling of separate vaults under one umbrella. You can have shared vaults, and ones that only you can access.

Do I have to subscribe to 1Password Families to get the same functionality as I have had previously for extra cost?

You can certainly continue using 1Password 6 though at this point there won't be any further updates or bug fix releases for that version. The Family subscription includes all of the native applications for windows, mac, Android and iOS for all of the members of the subscription and includes the ability to have your data automatically synced without any external services or configuration needed.

Do I have to subscribe to a 1Password membership at all? If I don't will 1Password7 simply access our dropbox hosted vaults as before?

1Password 7 can still access dropbox synced vaults, though the per-user per-platform pricing might be more than the subscription would cost.

This discussion has been closed.