What if I lost my secret key and pasword?

Seattle2000
Seattle2000
Community Member

I am sorry for two posts in a week. Just getting used to this for my family.

I was curious if I lost my secret key and forgot my password, would I still be able to recover my account via the email I used? Through a reset or something?

On my family account I am the only admin.

I have my secret key in a safe. Just thinking worse case. Thank you very much.

Comments

• KayJay
    KayJay
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Hello,

This article & video discuss account recovery in excellent detail:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/

The important thing to remember is that you can’t recover your own account, so make sure at least two family or team members can recover accounts. That way, if you can’t sign in, someone will be able to help you.

Keeping your emergency recovery kit (secret key) in a safe or safety deposit box at your bank is also an excellent backup/recovery strategy.

Thanks,
    KayJay

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Seattle2000: Thanks for getting in touch! :)

I am sorry for two posts in a week. Just getting used to this for my family.

Hey, no problem! Two in a week isn't a lot, and, frankly, if you (or your loved ones) have questions about using 1Password, it's better to ask them. That's what we're here for. :chuffed:

Now, to answer the initial question you posed:

What if I lost my secret key and pasword?

Just as someone malicious won't be able to access your data without those "keys" to it, you will not be able to either. Be sure to save your Emergency Kit somewhere safe in case you ever need it.

I was curious if I lost my secret key and forgot my password, would I still be able to recover my account via the email I used? Through a reset or something?

That is correct. We never have access to 1Password users' data and can also never grant you or anyone else access to it either. That's fundamental to the security of all 1Password users -- including us!

On my family account I am the only admin.

While KayJay was right to point out that admins can help others in a family/team recover their account, that will not work for you if you are the only admin. So you may want to consider making someone else a family Organizer, if there are any others that are up to the responsibility. If not, just take extra care to ensure that you don't lock yourself out, and you'll be in good shape, and able to help others in your family if they do.

I have my secret key in a safe. Just thinking worse case. Thank you very much.

It sounds like you're on the right track, but if there's anything else we can help with just let us know. We're here for you! :)

• Seattle2000
    Seattle2000
    Community Member

Thank you very much. It is all very clear to me now. And I have designated someone else as an admin now too. This is a great application.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Seattle2000 - excellent! I'm glad everything's clear after brenty's explanation, and good for you for adding a second Family Organizer. Now everyone will be safe, even if they lose or forget their credentials. :)

This discussion has been closed.