Prompted for system password when updating from version 7.2.4 to 7.2.5?

Options
craigc123
craigc123
Community Member
edited February 2019 in Mac

I am not sure if this is something to be expected, but every time my 1Password tries to update to 7.2.5 after downloading the update and extracting it, it prompts me for my MacOS System Password:

MacOS Password Prompt

I only switched to 1Password 7 (standalone version) very recently, but I do not recall ever being prompted for my System Password in the past. Is this safe?

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@craigc123 - yes. :)

• craigc123
    craigc123
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Lars may I ask why it is requiring it? A friend of mine also updated from 7.2.4 to 7.2.5, and he told me it never prompted him for his system password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@craigc123 - 1Password 7 downloads and installs using standard /Applications folder permissions, which require you to enter an Administrator password (based on the nature of the screenshot you provided, I'm assuming that means the account you took this in runs with Admin privileges). It should always prompt you in the above way, but there are certain conditions under which it won't, which we currently have an open bug issue on. In short, if you're using the package installer, you should get used to this notification. :)

This discussion has been closed.