To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Lost master password–what happens to subscription?

micpringle
micpringle
Community Member

Hi,

I've lost my master password, and given it's unlikely I'll be able to recover my account it appears the only option is to delete and start over. The issue is, I only just renewed my annual subscription on Feb 6th and the support page states all billing info will be lost. Does that mean I need to pay again, or can I provide my receipt and have the remaining subs applied to the new account? Or even have the current one transferred across before I delete the old account?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Saleana
    Saleana
    Community Member

Micpringle,

Unfortunately, you are correct - if you have lost your master password, you will likely need to delete and start over.

However, before doing that, I would like to point out that we do have a support page set up with some tips to remember your Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

If you're absolutely positive that your Master Password is gone into the depths of the back of your brain and can no longer be found, then you'll need to send an email to our sales department at sales@1password.com as we don't like to speak about the magical issues of billing on the public forum because it can get super confidential and stuff. Obviously, we wouldn’t want the world knowing your personal info.

Anyways, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you being able to remember your Master Password!

Best of luck.
    Saleana

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@micpringle: (Un)fortunately AgileBits has neither access to your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again.

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly. Please let me know how it turns out. Regardless, even if you do need to start over, we can help you with that and give you a credit to the new account as appropriate if you get in touch at sales@1password.com from your account's registered email address.

This discussion has been closed.