How to design a website to get 1password to prompt save login?

orpheus
orpheus
Community Member
edited February 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

Hey there, working on building an html form that's compatible with 1password. I have been following the directions laid out here: https://support.1password.com/compatible-website-design/ but I find them quite lacking. For instance, it took me a while to figure out that instead of autofill the correct value was to use autocomplete on the input tags.

I need users to type in a single passphrase but because it's very long I need it displayed as text and not bullets so the only way I was able to get this to work was by doing something like:

<input type='text' autocomplete='username />

First of all, is there a way to force 1password to save this as a password instead of a username without putting the type='password'?

And after I finally got 1password recognizing the input field, you still have to click on the icon and press 'Save Login'. How do I get it so that 1password will prompt the user to save the login instead?

Thank you. If any more detail/info is needed about how I'm using my form, let me know.

R

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @orpheus,

That section could be better worded you're right. I can't remember if a draft version used the keyword autofill or if the autocomplete attribute was just often referenced as autofill but pointing directly to the autocomplete definition would remove any confusion.

The only way to get 1Password to recognise a field as a password is to use the password type. As well as that we would recommend using autocomplete="current-password" to help reenforce this is the designated password field. As it stands 1Password will not consider over input types for a password.

For the prompt, I'm assuming you are using either 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows along with the companion extension and not the 1Password X standalone extension (1Password accounts only). The companion extension should react to either the user pressing enter on the password field or clicking a submit button with an appropriate title that 1Password can use to infer this is a sign-in form, things like submit, log in, sign-in and so on.

Does that help at all?

This discussion has been closed.