lost secret key

Options
Laurapine
Laurapine
Community Member

I lost my secret key and need it to sign in on my Mac. I am able to open 1Password on my iPhone and see all my logins and even edit them, but when I click Accounts, it asks me to sign in, which of course requires my secret key. I'm in a crazy loop.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:lost secret key

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Laurapine! I'm sorry for the trouble. You didn't tell us anything about your current setup other than that you have a Mac and an iPhone, so it's a bit hard to say what might be going on here. But if you've already added your 1password.com account to 1Password for Mac, you shouldn't need your Secret Key again. Are you trying to sign in (on your Mac) within 1Password 7 for Mac? Or in a browser? On your iPhone, are you using 1Password for iOS or a browser to try to sign in?

• Laurapine
    Laurapine
    Community Member
    Options

I just had my Mac wiped, and the newest iOS installed. I would like to sign in to 1Password.com in Safari and then get the extension, but I don't have my Secret Key.
    When I open my 1Password app (I don't know if it's 1Password for iOS) on my iPhone 6, I can view everything (logins, etc) but am unable to view my account to retrieve my Secret Key. When I go into Settings>1Password Accounts, I am asked if I want to sign in or create an account. This confuses me because it appears to me that I should already be signed in.
    Naturally, I can't sign in again at this point, because I don't have my Secret Key.
    Thus the maddening loop. :-/

• Laurapine
    Laurapine
    Community Member
    Options

Correction: when I sign into my 1Password app on my phone, and go to Settings>1Password Accounts, it shows Add Existing Account or Start Your Free Trial

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Laurapine - thanks for the additional information. :)

when I sign into my 1Password app on my phone, and go to Settings>1Password Accounts, it shows Add Existing Account or Start Your Free Trial

That almost certainly means you have a standalone vault, and not a 1password.com account. If you tap Settings > Vaults, what do you see? How many vaults, and what are their names?

There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password  sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

Let me know what you discover.

• Laurapine
    Laurapine
    Community Member
    Options

I have a Primary vault. I synced it with iCloud. So if I get the 1Password app on my Mac, will I be able to access the vault?

• Laurapine
    Laurapine
    Community Member
    Options

Never mind. I think I just figured it out. Thank you so much for your help!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Laurapine - great! Glad you were able to figure it out, but definitely let us know if you need assistance with anything else or have additional questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.