Odd workflow - license to subscription during free trial

martinnel
martinnel
Community Member

I saw no easy way to create a clear and succinct title for what I want to ask. Sorry.

I have a standalone version of 1Password. I have finally talked my wife into getting on the 1P bandwagon. We started the process yesterday with her signing up for the 30-day free trial (which looked like she paid for a year, but that's a different conversation) and we started setting it up. Then it occurred to me I should just do a family plan with me as the administrator (or whatever the term is).

I've found links on 1P's pages explaining how I can move over to a subscription, but I don't know how to then add my wife over and cancel her existing plan. I haven't loaded much for her yet; should I just cancel her subscription and start over? If so, how would I do that?

Also, I see Additional Information below. I'm not sure my wife has the same Mac OS I do and she prefers Apple iCloud. I have my details filled in there.

Martin
1P since early 2010

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:I have standalone, my wife just got subscription

Comments

• dbetty
    dbetty
    1Password Alumni

I'll try to address the following two questions:

1. How to invite your wife to your 1Password.com account (subscription-based) once you've moved over
    2. What to do about the account your wife has just created, which is currently on a trial

Let me know if there's anything I might've missed!

To address the first question, assuming that you're using these instructions to switch over to a subscription, the first thing to do is to choose to create a Family account during signup. If you've already migrated your data over to a subscription for an individual account, you'll want to sign in to your account at https://my.1password.com/signin, and convert your account by clicking on "Invite People..." or "Invite the Family" in the sidebar to the right of your homepage.

Once that's done, you'll want to head to Invitations through the sidebar, and invite your wife via her email address on that page. She'll receive an email invitation to join your account - once she's completed this, you'll need to confirm her as a new member and she'll have proper access to the account.

We have a support article that also has step-by-step instructions on adding new users to a Family account, and how to share items with them if you'd like an alternative set of instructions.

For the second question: If your wife hasn't created any items or added any data to her new account yet it should be safe to delete her account by heading over to https://my.1password.com/signin, clicking on "Having trouble signing in?", and following the instructions shown.

We do have a list of system requirements for our apps here as well: https://support.1password.com/system-requirements/ Your wife doesn't need to have the same OS as you do to be able to access the account, but she should at least be able to install a version of 1Password that is compatible with 1Password accounts.

• martinnel
    martinnel
    Community Member

Thank you dbetty, that looks very helpful. It may be a couple of days before I will be able to address this, but I will certainly come back here if I have problems.

Martin

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @martinnel!

On behalf of dbetty, you are welcome! No worries at all, if you need anything please get back to us anytime, we are always happy to help :)

Have a wonderful day!

This discussion has been closed.