Feature: Editing password history still being worked on?

DaBittna
DaBittna
Community Member

I wanted to know if the ability to edit the password history is still a feature that is being considered.

I recently removed a password from an account, because I decided I wanted to specifically NOT store it in 1Password,
however the password history still shows it. I find it a bit unfortunate, that, when you want to delete just the password from 1Password,
you essentially have to delete the entire item and enter all the other information but the password again.
I'd also say that having things that are beyond the user's control like that is really unfortunate.

Anyway, I just want to know: Are you guys still (planning to) work on that feature?
I really love your product and am a otherwise perfectly happy customer :chuffed:

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for getting in touch! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying 1Password. :)

We don't have plans to do what you're describing, as password history is a real thing: it's literally a chronicle of the password changes of an item, in order to facilitate recovery and/or avoiding using the same password again.

However, if you duplicate the item, the password history will not be carried over, as the new item has had no history of different passwords. That will get you the result you're looking for. ;)

• eyeless
    eyeless
    Community Member

Not being able to delete password history renders 1Password close to a waste of time for any user. How do you search out duplicate passwords in use if you find 400 items in passwords history for example that you likely are not looking for?

• I'm not sure I follow @eyeless. Could you please elaborate about what problem you're having?

Ben

• eyeless
    eyeless
    Community Member

If you search for a password in 1Password you might want to figure out where you are currently using a password (if you had used the same password at several places) in order to follow best practises and to change them into different passwords. But as 1Password will find all of your old passwords without enlightening you about that they are not being used you will have a hard time finding what you are looking for. That's just one example of the thousands of very troublesome shortcomings of this product that makes me hoping there will soon be a better product coming from some other company soon ... .

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

1Password does not and will not track your visits to websites, and only even knows internally where you might use a password based on what you've saved, not whether you actually use it there or in other places not recorded in 1Password. That's intentional and not a shortcoming, so I'm not going to apologize for it. That's not really relevant to this discussion though, and as I mentioned above duplicating the item results in a new one with no password history (since it's new). I do think it makes sense for 1Password to be able to find things you've saved in it by searching, and as that's what most people expect we'll continue to expand on the search capabilities -- which may end up helping your use case anyway with more granular control over criteria.

This discussion has been closed.