ios 10 and 1password membership

Options
Mxssx
Mxssx
Community Member

a curiosity.
I accidentally uninstalled 1password on my iphone 5c
I reinstalled it and chose to use 1password membership.
why do you just insert the master password and not even the secret key?

it seems that by uninstalling the app the secret key remains on the phone ?!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Mxssx!

After installing the 1Password app again, what did you see right away? Were you prompted to enter your Master Password immediately, or did you see something like this screenshot?

• Mxssx
    Mxssx
    Community Member
    Options

a page like the one in the screenshot appears
    after I click on "1password.com"

my account already appears (only the password must be entered)

my doubt derives from the fact that I thought, for safety, that once the app was uninstalled, it would also delete all the data related to my account (in this case the secret key)

instead it seems not to be so

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mxssx: Sorry for the confusion. Indeed, if you're using iCloud Keychain, the Secret Key is backed up there, so you don't need to enter that manually when you're already signed into your Apple ID.

• Mxssx
    Mxssx
    Community Member
    Options

hi brenty

I have not activated the keychain on my iphone (even on other ios devices on which 1password is installed), even in the past I don't think so

it may be that somehow he manages to recover the secret key from my ipad without needing the apple keychain but simply via id

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019
    Options

Nope. The Secret Key will only be stored in iCloud Keychain if it's enabled, and will only be available on another device if it is enabled there (and you're signing into the same Apple ID). It's also only available to 1Password, not other apps or the OS.

• Mxssx
    Mxssx
    Community Member
    Options

but I haven't activated the icloud keychain ..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mxssx: What do you mean by "activated"?

• Mxssx
    Mxssx
    Community Member
    Options

that in the icloud settings, the "keychain" item is disabled
    cmq mine is just a curiosity, I would not stress you

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mxssx: Hey, I'm curious too. Thanks for clarifying. :) To be clear, 1Password would have saved it to the Keychain regardless. It just won't end up on any other devices without iCloud Keychain, only stored locally. So if this is the same device you mentioned earlier -- the iPhone 5c -- and you had already used 1Password there, it would have your Secret Key saved there already. You would just need to enable iCloud Keychain to have it sync to another device, or it would be included if you restored from a device backup. Does that make more sense? :)

• Mxssx
    Mxssx
    Community Member
    Options

Oh thanks
    so my iphone has already found the 1password secret key because it is memorized locally?!.
    another question (surely stupid) so if I hypothetically wanted to delete the secret key from the phone I should simply reset it ?!

• Ben
    Options

so my iphone has already found the 1password secret key because it is memorized locally?!.

Right.

another question (surely stupid) so if I hypothetically wanted to delete the secret key from the phone I should simply reset it ?!

There is no supported way of doing so other than deauthorizing the device at https://my.1password.com/

Ben

• Mxssx
    Mxssx
    Community Member
    Options

thank you so much
    I understand better now

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are very welcome @Mxssx! I am happy that Ben was able to help you :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.