To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

More convenient ways for 2FA to 1Password

Seraphis
Seraphis
Community Member

Hi,

having 2FA for 1Password is great. But sometimes a little bit inconvenient, I have to get my phone out, unlock it, open an authenticator app, find the OTP and then type it in. Is there a more convenient way to do 2FA for 1Password, maybe OTP via SMS option? Or Push Authentication where I can Approve/Deny from my lockscreen?

I know it would be less secure, but wondering if there is an option.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Push is (already/only) possible with 1Password for Teams: https://duo.com/docs/1password

SMS is not safe, so unlikely that Agilebits will offer that.

• Hi @Seraphis

As @XIII mentioned it is possible to do the push approve/deny with Duo on 1Password Teams accounts. If you're currently using an individual membership the move to teams for this convenience wouldn't cause a huge increase in the rate for 1Password, but if you're using 1Password Families it would likely not be worth the added expense.

I'd love to see us be able to offer Duo to more customers. I believe we'd have to increase the cost of memberships in order to do that for what is of little benefit to many, and no benefit to most. Most people don't use 2FA with 1Password at all, and the benefit of doing so is slim and debatable. As such I don't see that being feasible.

Ben

• woter324
    woter324
    Community Member

LastPass includes Push OTP for free and Duo is free too.

I have just set up a "family" account to try 1Password as a replacement to LastPass and within the few hours I've been trying it, I'm already sick of entering my 28 character master password every few minutes. I came here searching for a way to enable Push OTP and after reading this, I won't be moving to 1Password. Push OTP is a requirement.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @woter324! :)

Sorry to hear this and thank you for giving 1Password a try.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@woter324: Duo is not free for us to use. They're a business and need to make money too. So we include that cost in 1Password Business memberships, which is why the feature is available there. :+1:

Unrelated to two-factor authentication, your Master Password is required to decrypt the data locally on your device -- there's no authentication involved in that. Depending on your device and settings, there are a number of ways to minimize how often you need to type the Master Password:

• Lock options (1Password Preferences/Settings > Security)
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello, Touch ID, Face ID, Nexus Imprint)

It sounds like maybe you've already made up your mind, but I wanted to mention it in case it helps you or anyone else. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.