MacOS Mojave Safari 12.1 Issue with Private Windows

Options
amcd
amcd
Community Member

I normally set my browsers in permanent Private Mode but, I am having a problem with Safari 12.1 for Mac ( my preferred browser).

Every time I a select a website link in 1P7 ("open and fill") Safari opens the webpage but never in Private Mode. I have to continually clear Safari's history every time I use 1P7.

It appears that 1P7 ignores Safari's General Preferences that I have set as "Safari Opens with a New Private Window".

Please help ASAP...

Many Thanks.... amcd

(Firefox does not seem to have have this problem. The Private Browsing setting is always recognised by 1P7.)

1Password Version: 7.2.5 (70205002)
Extension Version: 7.2.5
OS Version: macOS 10..14.4
Sync Type: 1P7 Cloud Server
Referrer: forum-search:Safari 12

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @amcd!

I have tested this on my Mac and things worked fine here (if Safari is set to open in Private mode, 1Password honors the setting and will open a new tab, again in Private mode).

Can you please give me some more details on how your Safari is currently configured? When this happens, do you already have open tabs?

I normally set my browsers in permanent Private Mode but, I am having a problem with Safari 12.1 for Mac ( my preferred browser).

How did you configure Safari to always use Private mode, so I can see if I configured it in a different way than you.

• amcd
    amcd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ana...

Thanks for the quick response.... I have tried this on 2 macs both running latest macOS Version 10.14.4 (18E226) and Safari Version 12.1 (14607.1.40.1.4)... Same issue on both Macs...

Please see screenshot for my Safari settings....

There are no open tabs and 1P7 opens Safari to a new window....

I wonder what your settings are...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@amcd - If you're using multiple browsers, which one is set as default on your system? Are you using a selector such as Choosy or BrowserFairy?

• rudy
    edited April 2019
    Options

@amcd,

That's strange, I'm on 10.14.4 with Safari Version 12.1 (14607.1.40.1.4) and I don't get a "Safari opens with:" option at all.

• amcd
    amcd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars and Rudi .....

• Default Browser is Safari 12.1 (14607.1.40.1.4) - With Mojave I prefer my default browser to be Safari - I do not use Choosy or Browser Fairy

• I also have Firefox 66.0.2 (64-bit) on my Mac and when setup for Private Browsing it does not have the 1P7 / Safari Private Window issue -

• my Mac is up-to-date with macOS 10.14.4 - Safari's preferences are as my Image above -

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@amcd - thanks for the heads-up. You're using beta versions of both Safari and macOS itself, which we don't warrant will work seamlessly with 1Password -- though of course we're developing and adjusting for new versions as we move along. Since both Ana and myself had a different experience, I'm guessing this is down to something we need to look at for the upcoming version, so I'll mention this to the development team.

• amcd
    amcd
    Community Member
    Options

I do not have any Beta software on my Macs.... all are using Mojave 10.14.5.

I have Safari Version 12.1.1 (14607.2.6.1.1).... IT is still set to Open Always in a Private Window.

1P7 never opens Safari in compliance with its settings i.e. always open new private window

I have 3 macs and all display the same problem as described above..

I am using 1P7 1Password 7 Version 7.3.1 (70301008)

Please advise further... many thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019
    Options

Greetings @amcd,

I believe I've found the setup to reproduce, Safari must be running but have no available window. If the extension needs to ask Safari to create a window then it does not adhere to the user setting in Safari. I will file an issue to see if this is something we can better account for or if maybe we need to ask Apple for assistance in the new world that is Safari App Extensions.

ref: apple-4049

• amcd
    amcd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi...

Great !!!!!!!! you guys finally reproduced the problem.... thanks

Your analysis is exactly correct for Safari..

For your info, Firefox has no problems with 1P7. But I prefer Safari with the new Mojave security.

many thanks... amcd

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, thanks for bringing it up. We can't change this behaviour on our end, but we've filed a radar with Apple to see if there can be a way to do it in the future. In the mean time, if you have a private window open already Safari should be able to open another when it gets the request. :)

This discussion has been closed.