Managing accounts with multiple username formats

nigelm
nigelm
Community Member

One of those problems that I hope will go away, but currently I am stuck with it and guess it will persist for a few years...

We have several services that use (typically) Active Directory linked authentication, so all use the same password. However they do not all use the same username format, so for example you may have:-

• fred.flintstone@example.com - email address
  • f_flintstone@example.com - username & domain
  • EXAMPLE\f_flintstone - old domain format with username
  • f_flintstone - username, no domain

I can't manage these within a single 1Password entry with autofill, and if I have multiple entries I both have an issue making sure that the pw entry is correct on all of them, and I then get nagged by 1PW about duplicated passwords...

Is there any sane mechanism for dealing with this sort of issue? In the short/medium term getting everything to use the same format is likely not to be a goer.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nigelm - at present, there is not. One of the reasons the "nag" for reused passwords was put into place is that password re-use remains among the most-likely ways for any data breach at any company/website to become much worse for individual users than it would otherwise be. For several years in the beginning of our existence, our user-base consisted mostly of people like (it sounds) you: knowledgeable, computer-savvy folk who could easily see the value of a dedicated password manager. Those days are long gone, and the average new user of today is coming from a much less tech-focused background. They may very well have been using the same password (or a small handful of them) in multiple places over time, and just adding those to 1Password doesn't actually help make their passwords any stronger or more secure -- so we instituted this warning to remind all users of when they have passwords used in more that one item.

That said, there are a number of quite-reasonable use-cases (mostly by those more-technically savvy folks such as yourself) for why you might need to have things set up in a manner like you describe - or other examples. What we're currently engaged in working on is a solution that will allow the folks like you to suppress such warnings without making it too easy for newer users to just turn them off and not get the intended benefit of the "nag" to change re-used passwords...all while keeping in mind that any system which allows suppression of messages on a local, in-app basis needs to work reliably across four platforms plus the 1Password web app. In short...I don't have anything to announce immediately. The revisions to 1Password mini which are currently in beta will have these (and other) warnings minimized with a drop-down caret to expand them if you want to view the full details, but as of now that's all. Hope that helps, and if you'd like to check out the new mini and let us know what you think, we'd love the feedback. You can turn on beta builds in Preferences > Updates. :)

This discussion has been closed.