Every time I log in I get an Authentication error message

BradSmith
BradSmith
Community Member
edited April 2019 in Mac

My iMac is running Mojave 10.14.4. I can log into my account okay using a new password, but after logging in I get an Authentication Error message window asking me to enter certain details. Eg Sign In, Email, Secret Key and Master Password. Only the Master Password field is empty. But when I type in that same password I just used to log in, the error message will not accept it. Do I have a different Master Password?

1Password Version: Version 7.2.5 (70205002)
Extension Version: 7.2.5
OS Version: 10.14.4
Sync Type: Dropbox?
Referrer: forum-search:Authentication error message

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BradSmith - I'm sorry for the trouble!

I can log into my account okay using a new password...

I'm assuming you mean a 1password.com account? And by "new password," you mean you recently changed your Master Password for the account in a browser at 1password.com? Is that correct? Or did you do something else?

• BradSmith
    BradSmith
    Community Member

Sorry, it's easy to think everybody knows what you mean. Yes, my 1Password account and yes, I recently changed my 1P password. It's since that password change, that I've been getting this Authentication Error message. My apologies, but I can't remember how or where I changed that master password. I think it was via the 1P preferences and the change Master Password button. I'll attach the 2 message panes that I get after I've logged into 1P.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2019

Thanks @BradSmith. Are you able to sign in at https://my.1password.com/signin?a=new in a web browser?

Ben

• BradSmith
    BradSmith
    Community Member

No Ben. Same details as before but I get this message.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BradSmith - I'm really sorry to hear that, because it means something's wrong with the credentials you're using to attempt to sign in. Can I ask: if you open Preferences > Vaults, what do you see? What are the names of the vaults there? Specifically, is there one called "Primary?"

• BradSmith
    BradSmith
    Community Member

I hope it's okay to post this. Easier than explaining. If it's sensitive, would you delete it please? This is a screen shot of exactly that window in Preferences>Vaults.

• Thanks, that helps a lot. Some background... the way 1Password unlocks is:

1. If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    2. If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    3. If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added. When a Primary vault exists in 1Password for Mac, and you change your Master Password within that app, you're ONLY changing the Master Password for your Primary vault... not the one for your 1Password membership account. If you change your Master Password on the 1Password.com website you're changing the account password, and not the Primary vault password (meaning this change will not affect the password 1Password for Mac unlocks with in this case).

Please use the vault switcher at the top left of 1Password for Mac to switch to the Personal vault. With any luck that vault should contain a Login item for 1Password.com that will have your Master Password for your account on it. Once you have that in hand you should be able to re-authorize 1Password for Mac to connect to your account. Once that is sorted you'll want to move all of your data into the Personal vault and delete the Primary vault. We can walk you through that when we get there.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• avogadro23
    avogadro23
    Community Member

I get this same error ever since I switched from Standalone to 1Pass 7 for Families (switched from 1Pass v6 standalone to 1Pass v7 Standalone a few days ago, then bought a Families trial).
    I can still log in, but get the prompt every time the app starts up for the first time. None of my master passwords have changed.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @avogadro23!

If your Master Password didn't change, is it possible that some other information about your account did? For example, did you generate a new Secret Key or changed your email address for your 1Password account?

• avogadro23
    avogadro23
    Community Member

Nope.
    I believe I even did a completely new install of the app just to be safe.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@avogadro23:

Can you please send us a diagnostic report from this Mac to support+forum@agilebits.com so we can take a look at your account information without sharing details here on a public forum?

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

Looking forward to your message!

• avogadro23
    avogadro23
    Community Member

Thanks! Support ticket is #EAF-71523-613

• Thanks @avogadro23. Got it, and have replied by email. Let's continue the conversation there. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.