2FA and Dropbox issue

ycnan
ycnan
Community Member

I have no idea if this is a Dropbox or 1Password issue, but today, after I logged out of Dropbox after changing the password there, the 2FA code that was generated to log back in wouldn't work. This happened on both Mac and iPhone. I managed to get into Dropbox via my iPad, which was still logged in, and have changed 2FA to sms, but found the 1Password option more convenient. To clarify: the password for the account worked, but when it asked for the 2FA code, it told me it was incorrect, time after time on both iPhone and mac. Again, I don't know if this is an issue with 1Password, or Dropbox, and am wondering if anyone has had this happen before?

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: 7.2.5
OS Version: 10.14.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member

This can happen if the timezone of your device and the account or the time is out of sync since the key is generated mathematically by the current time and the secret that is exchanged when setting up the 2 factor app.

• Hi @ycnan

Do you have TOTP set up for other sites where 1Password is generating the codes for you? Are those working? The biggest challenge with TOTP is time (Time-based One-time Password). All of your devices that are expected to generate TOTP codes must keep very accurate time. Being off by even a single minute can cause TOTP generation to not work. The system can set the clock automatically, by syncing with an internet time server:

If your devices are already set to set the time automatically toggling that option off and then back on should force a sync. It is also important to verify that the timezone is set appropriately. Does that help?

Ben

• ycnan
    ycnan
    Community Member

Thanks for the replies!I have the timezone set automatically in Dropbox, and on my devices. I just checked if 2FA would work with another site, and that just worked fine. So i think it might not be 1password related? I'll try it again later today to see if it works again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ycnan - sounds good; keep us posted. :) :+1:

• ycnan
    ycnan
    Community Member

All is well again, maybe it was just a glitch yesterday, or something else. Again, thanks for the support!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ycnan - you're quite welcome; we're here to help if you have issues or questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.