Advice on deleting a vault

BrianLy
BrianLy
Community Member

Hi

I have a shared vault which is synced using Dropbox. It's been synced for a number of years. Somehow I've ended up with the same vault in two directories:

/Users/brianly/Dropbox/Shared Vault.opvault (being referenced by my 1Password app on Mac)
/Users/brianly/Dropbox/Vaults/Shared Vault.opvault (not being referenced, but file date is newer)

So, I decided to open the second vault listed above and it seems to be current. I gave it a unique name when I added it and stopped showing the vault from the root of my Dropbox.

At this point I've verified that the vault in the sub-directory is syncing and everything looks good. I found an option to delete the vault in the root directory, but the dialog is scary. I can backup /Users/brianly/Dropbox/Vaults/Shared Vault.opvault before attempting the delete, but is there a less scary option? Does the delete actually touch the .opvault file in Dropbox?

What I think is going on here is that 1Password has an internal database. Changes from that are then relayed out to the vault files that exist in the the Dropbox directories. Is this correct? If so, would it make sense for me to archive any *.agilekeychain files?

Thanks in advance.

-Brian

1Password Version: 7.2.5 (70205004)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BrianLy! Welcome to the forum!

I can backup /Users/brianly/Dropbox/Vaults/Shared Vault.opvault before attempting the delete, but is there a less scary option? Does the delete actually touch the .opvault file in Dropbox?

Removing a vault from the 1Password app should leave the original vault in Dropbox. But better to be safe than sorry, so you can certainly Cmd+C on your vault data and Cmd+V on your Desktop (or anywhere else outside of Dropbox), so you can restore it later should anything go wrong.

What I think is going on here is that 1Password has an internal database. Changes from that are then relayed out to the vault files that exist in the the Dropbox directories. Is this correct? If so, would it make sense for me to archive any *.agilekeychain files?

You are right. And yes, .agilekeychain files are probably older than your .opvault files, so if you are not using them anymore and all your data is now using the new format, there is no need to keep them around :)

This discussion has been closed.