After switch from Firefox to Chrome browser, 1Password wont' complete a login

New to Chrome browser. 1Password will fill in the login info on website logins stored in it, but then I get an error message saying something about the system not being able to send keystrokes, so it stops there. I now have to hit "Return" to complete the login.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8.8 (688001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: Mojave 10.14.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:chrome won't complete the logins

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @milukas! I think I know what’s going on here. Having the ability for browser extensions to be able to imitate key strokes, such as the ‘return’ key that we emulate for auto-submit, can be exploited by malware to do some fairly nefarious things. In response to this discovery, Apple has begun preventing this sort of behavior beginning with macOS Mojave, as I expect other browsers and OSes will be doing shortly. We’d love to find a way to make auto-submit work reliably without having to use the return key press emulation. We’ve tried out a few different things in the past, including using JavaScript to search for and “press” the submit/login button. This proved to be a fairly unreliable approach, and nothing we’ve found works quite as well as the return key. When designing software like 1Password, web browsers, and operating systems, there is always a fine balance between security and convenience. In this case we believe that Apple has made the right choice in leaning toward security. We applaud them for their efforts.

TL;DR - Auto-submit is no longer a feature. We’ve removed it from the current version of 1Password, but it looks like you’re still using 1Password 6. Mojave doesn’t seem to like that you have the feature turned on, so let’s turn it off and see if that avoids the popup. Please do the following:

1. Open and unlock 1Password 6.
    2. Click 1Password in the menu bar and open Preferences.
    3. Navigate to the Browsers tab and uncheck the box next to ‘Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords.’
    4. Restart your browser and test the extension again.

Do you still see the same popup you were seeing previously?

• milukas
    milukas
    Community Member

Popup seems to be gone. I agree that the better security is worth the extra hassle of pressing the return key! Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Kaitlyn, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.