Passwords Category does not appear in Categories List within Personal Vault

I was attempting to recover an unsaved password per these instructions...https://support.1password.com/recover-unsaved-password/...but I do not have a Passwords Category in my Categories within my Personal Vault. I am 100% sure that I did at one time. So I was wondering if you could explain what happened and help me reinstate the Passwords Category?

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: X - Chrome
OS Version: Sierra 10.12.6
Sync Type: not sure

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tobiascortese: You're using 1Password X, not the desktop extension for 1Password for Mac; so you'll need to open the Password Generator in your browser:

And then view Generator History:

Note that, as with the desktop app, you'll only have a password saved there if you used 1Password to create it.

• tobiascortese
    tobiascortese
    Community Member

But why do I no longer have the Passwords Category in either my desktop app (1Password 7) or my Chrome Extension (1Password X)?
    And can I get it back?

• tobiascortese
    tobiascortese
    Community Member

Note that you have the Passwords Category in whatever version you've included in the screenshots.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tobiascortese: generally, 1Password shows you a category only when it includes at least one item. Is it possible you have multiple vaults, and you are looking at one that doesn't have any Password items?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tobiascortese: Indeed, Ana is right on. I don't have "Passwords" in the sidebar in vaults where I have no Password items saved. And if you've been using 1Password X to generate passwords, you would have no Password items from that since it uses Generator History instead. Cheers! :)

• tobiascortese
    tobiascortese
    Community Member

I don't have any other vaults. Sounds like the Password Category is a legacy feature? If so, I guess that would make sense as there was a point where I deleted all of the items in my Password Category. I'm guessing that the App updated shortly thereafter with the new functionality to use Generator History vs the Password Category and thus the Password Category was no longer needed and gone forever.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

While not technically "legacy", I do think we'll move away from Password items in the future. They are designed to be used as a safety net so people don't lose a password they used for a site if they forget to save a Login item, but it's been kind of confusing for people. The newer Generator History in 1Password X is something we've been experimenting with that could potentially replace the Password item method to avoid its downsides -- like cluttering people's vaults and getting in the way.

Regardless, if you have a Login saved for a website with your password for it, you don't also need a Password item. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.