Delete Primary Vault Without Changing Master Password

Options
dubman
dubman
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for almost as long as it's been around. I purchased a Family Account several months ago but didn't delete my Primary Vault because I wasn't sure I was going to keep it. I tried to do delete the Primary today but it was going to change my master password to the Family Account password. I don't want to do this. I want to keep it the same password that it has been. Do I have any options or is that just the way it is?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: Web
Referrer: forum-search:delete vault

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @dubman

You could change your 1Password Families membership account Master Password to be the same as your Primary vault Master Password. We generally recommend these be the same anyway. That'd be the only way to accomplish what you're asking. Some background... the way 1Password unlocks is:

If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership
    These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added. When a Primary vault exists in 1Password for Mac, and you change your Master Password within that app, you're ONLY changing the Master Password for your Primary vault... not the one for your 1Password membership account. If you change your Master Password on the 1Password.com website you're changing the account password, and not the Primary vault password (meaning this change will not affect the password 1Password for Mac unlocks with in this case).

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.