Explanation of the Wireless Router template?

Options
gandalf_saxe
gandalf_saxe
Community Member

Hi,

I can see there have been a number of threads on this topic over the years, and to me the Wireless Router is still a really odd template. Here it is for reference:

Can somebody please explain what the intention is to be filled in the various fields? What most people typically need is:

• Wireless network name
  • Wireless network password
  • Router setup username
  • Router setup password
    Router setup URL (typically https://192.168.1.1).

If you're not going to change the template, then please explain what the various items are so I can use it as intended.

1Password Version: network
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @gandalf_saxe

I'd be happy to help map these out.

• Base station name is the name of the access point. For example, the wireless access point in my office is named "OfficeTC" (it is a "Time Capsule").
    • Base station password == Router setup password
    • Server / IP address == Router setup URL (typically https://192.168.1.1).
    • Network name == Wireless network name
    • Wireless network password == Wireless network password
    • Attached storage password ... some routers (including Apple's) have the ability to have disk storage attached to them or have it built-in (e.g. the Time Capsule line). This storage may require a separate password from the wireless network password or the administrative password.

It was designed around Apple's router equipment, using terms that Apple uses in those products. If you're using a different brand then there may be different terms you're familiar with, but for most fields there should be an equivalent. Also, not all fields need to be filled in.

Does that help explain?

Ben

• gandalf_saxe
    gandalf_saxe
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Yes, thanks. I'm still not clear on the difference between "Base station name" and "Network name", they sound similar?

• gandalf_saxe
    gandalf_saxe
    Community Member
    Options

Also there seems to be a field missing for router settings username? It's usually admin, but wouldn't it be good to have it for good measure?

• Ben
    Options

Yes, thanks. I'm still not clear on the difference between "Base station name" and "Network name", they sound similar?

They're separate. The base station name is the name of the unit and the network name is the name your other devices show when connecting to the wireless network. Some brands may not make this distinction but many do.

Also there seems to be a field missing for router settings username?

It is true that we don't have a field for that — again, because Apple's equipment doesn't have a username (only a password).

It's usually admin, but wouldn't it be good to have it for good measure?

You can certainly add one if you have one you need to keep track of.

Whether it should be part of the template or not... that is probably an argument that could be made, but again the template was designed with Apple equipment in mind and Apple equipment doesn't have that field. For broader applicability, yes, it should probably have it. That said I think it is much more likely that we'll see customizable templates before we see changes to the built-in ones. It is currently a fair bit of work to make even a small change to the templates as each of our apps needs to be updated. If we were going to make the effort to do that I think it would be time better spent to make the templates customizable.

Ben

• gandalf_saxe
    gandalf_saxe
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Makes sense. At the same time, shouldn’t the template still try to cover the majority / average user as well as possible? Since Apple don’t produce router anymore and their market share was quite small to begin with (even among apple users), I think you should consider updating the template if/when you decide to offer template customization.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gandalf_saxe - it's definitely something we'll consider. I'm just not sure which way we'll end up going on that, if custom templates become a thing. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, however! :)

This discussion has been closed.