What is the process to set up / migrate my Family Account to a new Mac? Thanks

Options
hunner
hunner
Community Member

I use 1Password on my old MacBook Air and iPhone. I have a Family Plan. I "think" the accounts are synced in the cloud at your location (versus my Dropbox, but I do have agile.1Password.setting file in my Dropbox that is old, like 2014). Or am I synching in iCloud? Please help me understand how to migrate, and if possible, how 1Password works / how it syncs / where the sync file is at, etc. Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: 7.2.5
OS Version: 10.14.1
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:migrate to new mac

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hunner - thanks for dropping by, and for the questions. The best way to determine what you have is to search your own memories of what you've done, as well as looking in your 1Password application(s). In 1Password 7 for Mac, for example, you would go to Preferences > Accounts and see whether you have one or more 1password.com accounts signed in there. If you do, then you know you've got (at least) one 1password.com account. 1password accounts sync via the 1password.com servers; there is nothing for you to do or configure or maintain. It's one of the benefits of a 1password.com account: ease of use and freedom from hassles like that.

You should also check Preferences > Sync to see whether you have any standalone vaults that are synced via legacy methods like Dropbox or iCloud. If you've used 1Password for several years, you may have used either or both of those methods at one time -- that's where searching your own memory would come in. But if you find that you now have a 1password.com account, the process of transferring data into it should have happened at the time you set it up. If you have both a 1password.com account and older standalone vaults syncing via some other method, that can be a problem because you may be saving data in both places, meaning neither one is a complete and up-to-date copy of your data. If you click Preferences > Vaults, what do you see there? How many vaults are there, and what are their names?

This discussion has been closed.