How do I import a 1password 7 csv export back into 1password?

Options
mlines
mlines
Community Member

I am trying to recover my 1password account from an old backup. The old account was deleted and all I have is a 1password 7 csv backup. It does not appear that 1password has any way to natively import its own csv backup - am I missing something?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:import

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@mlines

The CSV export was never intended to be used as an import format for 1Password, and certainly not a backup format. In fact, 1Password for macOS can only import these 4 categories from CSV.

1PIF was the only full-fidelity backup format user's could create.

When you created the export, which Fields did you export - the Common Fields or All Fields? And did you include Column Labels?

• mlines
    mlines
    Community Member
    Options

All fields including labels

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2019
    Options

@mlines

If you are willing to wait, I'll update my csv converter in the converter suite to support this CSV export. It should be able to re-created your vault pretty closely to what you had. I won't be able to spend much time working on this until later today.

I presume your columns labels are in English. Let me know if this is not the case.

Also, please confirm which platform you are using.

If you want to work on this now, you can manually get those four categories mentioned above back into 1Password. Read on...

Make a copy of the spreadsheet.

Edit that copy and sort your row data in the spreadsheet by column labels such that your Login entries are grouped together (look for their fields, and sort by those labels). Remove all non-Login items from the spreadsheet now. Now, arrange the columns as per the article I liked above, for Login values. Remove any extraneous columns that have no data. When you are done, save the sheet as CSV in UTF-8 format. You should be able to re-import your Login's via CSV now. Note: the Tags in the spreadsheet may need some adjustment.

Repeat this process for the other 3 categories supported if you need to.

You will have to manually create records for the remaining data for those categories that are not supported.

• mlines
    mlines
    Community Member
    Options

I’m certainly willing to wait for the converter. Just let me know when it’s ready. All in English. Thanks!

• mlines
    mlines
    Community Member
    Options

Also, Mac platform.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@mlines ,

I'm working on the csv converter now, but discovered two issues with 1Password's CSV export that I'm working around (I reported one of them a few minutes ago).

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@mlines,

I have some bad news for you. Unfortunately, 1Password's CSV export is quite broken. I posted about this here.

They are mishandling double-quotes in the data, and they are doing so in such a way is to make it impossible to re-interpret the data correctly.

• mlines
    mlines
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for trying. I’ll just do it the hard way.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mlines: I'm really sorry that these issues have made more work for you. :(

ref: apple-3681

This discussion has been closed.