1PasswordX keeps displaying a "1Password has a new look" update message

For about a week or two now, when I click on the 1PasswordX icon in Firefox it displays a message telling me that "1Password has a new look" along with buttons for "Update" and "Not Now". I've clicked the "Update" button several times over the last week or so (the message goes away temporarily but reappears whenever I relaunch Firefox). I've tried uninstalling the add-on and re-installing it but the message keeps appearing whenever I relaunch the browser.

1Password Version: 1PasswordX
Extension Version: 1.15.2
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dkaplan: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! That's part of the first run setup in 1.15. So whatever you or other software on your machine does to "reset" or "clear" data in the browser will result in 1Password X running again, effectively, for the first time. Hence the prompt. You can avoid that by stopping the reset/clearing of its data. :)

• dkaplan
    dkaplan
    Community Member

Ah, ok. I think I might be setup to clear out the history, cache, etc. whenever I close the browser. I assumed it would just not display the message because it could tell what version it was running.

So, is that message always going to be there now? Like, even when you guys come out with the next version, it's always going to tell me that (assuming I continue to clear out my browser data like I have been)?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@dkaplan – That'll do it! The message won't stick around forever, no. It's to notify users about the redesign of the popup and gives them the option to hold off on upgrading to the new popup (Ex. if you're in the middle of an important task). I don't expect it will last for too long, but I wouldn't be able to speak to exactly when we'll be getting rid of it. Have you found that 1Password X only shows the message once when you stop clearing your cache after each browser session?

• dkaplan
    dkaplan
    Community Member

I haven’t tried that yet but now that I know what’s causing it, it’s not that big of a deal. Thanks for the quick replies.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sure thing! As I mentioned, you should be able to avoid that by not wiping out 1Password X's settings...but as Kaitlyn mentioned, in the near future we'll be moving exclusively to the new UI, so at that point there will no longer be a prompt anyway. Cheers! :)

• Chad_NE
    Chad_NE
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

1Password's UX has been stellar. There's been so much functionality to incorporate, yet the application does not feel bloated. It continues to be elegant and usable.

I do notice that the new UI has substantially oversized icons, buttons and fonts in the search bar. That's not automatically a bad thing at all! However, there's a fine line to walk between accessible/friendly and child-like/Romper Room. It looks like the line may have been crossed here:

Aesthetics are a matter of taste of course. Having poor vision, I appreciate how easy it is to to spot the search bar. My personal opinion though, is that this latest change takes away a bit of 1Password's refined edge.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Chad_NE – thank you so much for the kind words! I appreciate the valuable feedback as well. I'm curious to learn more about what you feel is being blocked by the search bar and the icons. In my opinion, the rich icons make each item easy to spot, but that could be because I've always been a visual person. For the search bar, we wanted to make that the main focus because in order to search, all you have to do is start typing and because the search feature has become so robust that it's often the quickest way to find an item that's not automatically offered in Suggestions.

You're right in that aesthetics are a matter of taste. Design itself is pretty subjective, really. My main question is – what do you feel would be a better use of space instead of an oversized search bar and rich icons given my explanation above? Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing your perspective!

This discussion has been closed.