New 1Password Mini Design feedback

Options

Comments

• nudge
    nudge
    Community Member
    Options

Please add me to the list of people unhappy with this update. Doubling the number of clicks needed to login to sites is a regression not just a design change imo.

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, the loss of editing functionality and increased clicks due to the restructuring of the UI because apparently it had "too much" information was sad to see in the beta. I disabled updates in the middle of it and kept a copy of tbe installer so I can remain at 7.2 as well.

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

Where do I find easy access to Tags in Firefox or Safari extensions in version 7.3? They are at the bottom in 1P program but nowhere to be found in browsers.

• Ben
    Options

@doctormo

You can search for a particular tag in the search bar and all the items with those tags will be shown.

Ben

• Ind3X
    Ind3X
    Community Member
    Options

I can sympathise with the initial reaction of the OP here as I had a similar perspective when they released the beta for this - I even started a thread in the Mac beta section with exactly the same thread title 😄. However, I will add that it doesn't take long to get used to the new design and I don't mind it now. It hasn't hindered my workflow too much and the interface looks a lot cleaner.

Give it some time.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the kind words, @Ind3X. :)

Ben

• gordonware
    gordonware
    Community Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

When I click on the extension it opens "Suggestions". I find this totally useless, unless I am already on a website, which I rarely am when I use 1Password. I want it to open "Favorites". After all, they are my favorite logins with passwords, right? To get to a particular Favorite I now have to do four, count 'em, four clicks. Why have a list of Favorites if I cannot get to them efficiently? You need to allow users to select a default display that opens when you click on the extension. I would set my default to be my Favorites. Without this I find 1Password's Safari extension clunky and inefficient. The Chrome extension on a Mac isn't much better; seems to take 3 clicks to get to a Favorite. Makes me want to look elsewhere.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3 (70300019) Mac App Store
    Extension Version: Provided by 1Password for Safari
    OS Version: macOS 10.14.5
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• gordonware
    gordonware
    Community Member
    Options

The new design is just plain inefficient. Way too many clicks to get to a Favorite login. Frustrating.

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben said: The need to restart is not a widespread problem. There have been a handful of reports indicating that it was necessary to restart to get the browser extensions working but for the vast majority the update installed just like any other. I'm not entirely sure at this point why it was necessary for some, but we are looking into that.

I'm not sure how you could have concluded that the need to restart "is not a widespread problem", given that the update only appeared in the UK Mac App Store this morning.

I experienced the same frustrating issue and needed to restart my Mac, which was far from convenient, given everything that I had open.

• Ben
    Options

@FragileBits

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@mpmchugh

It appears ⌘ N rather than ⌘ G is the keyboard shortcut for the password generator. Where are you seeing ⌘ G listed?

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Ben, FWIW I also had a restart on two difference iMacs. Not a big deal. I like the look and feel of 7.3, just takes a bit of getting used to. :-)

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben,

Not sure I like that choice, have to remember titles to type them in.
    I would prefer if you could add Tags to the pull down menu that starts with Suggestions... in some manner so I can get to the list of Tag headings. If I just type Med in, I get all sorts of logins other than Medical tags. There should be a way to make it easier to get to the Tags titles.

• Boomer49
    Boomer49
    Community Member
    Options

I agree, the opening screen on 1pw mini is for most people totally useless.
    Surely some of the brainiacs at 1pw can improve the program so that users can pin their favourites list to the opening screen if they so wish. Those that want to have suggestions in the opening screen don't pin anything.
    End of storey, we can all be happy.

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

@gordonware I believe you are experiencing this friction because you are attempting to use the mini for a purpose that is better suited for the main app. As outlined in the AgileBits recent blog post about the 7.3 release ...

Before a single mockup or wireframe was created, we took a step back to define exactly what 1Password mini needed to do well:

• Show items that match the frontmost app or website
    • Fill your passwords, credit cards, and address information into a web page
    • Generate new passwords quickly and easily

The mini’s primary goal is to get your information out of 1Password and into the places where you need it with a strong focus on filling your passwords, credit cards, and address information into web pages. Additionally, it needs to be clear how to perform every action.

“Mini is for filling” quickly became our mantra during this redesign, and each decision was made in service of that mission.

The mini defaults to the Suggestions view because that's what it's expressly designed to do. Moreover, the Suggestions feature isn't even new to this latest release. It's been there as the default since 7.0 at least. And the expanded sidebar in the mini is likely not coming back given the overwhelming user feedback in the 7.2 release was that the new mini was "too big". In any event, I've made the case that the mini should default to Suggestions when on a webpage where there is something that can be filled, otherwise it should default to Favorites. You can add your perspective here as well. In the meantime, the main app will always default to the last view you were using when launched. So if you set this to your Favorites you can quickly get to them. Hope this helps.

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member
    Options

I really do not like the new version of 1Password.

I don't like not seeing my categories in the pop-up window. You have added extra keystrokes and I still cannot just have the categories, all of them, displayed in the lefthand box.

So when I search I get more than my logins. And I have to do two extra clicks to just show only my logins.

The biggest needed improvement to 1Password X is missing. No support for TouchID.

Getting to the password generator is much harder in the new version plus when I click + Password, I get the generator but it does not autofill the page on which I am trying to create a new password generator. nor does it seems to remember the new password I just generated and copied and pasted (since there is no FILL button). I already had to do a password reset to mozilla.org because the password generator didn't save the generated password anywhere.

And the generator defaults to the gibberish generator and not to the memorable words generator I prefer.

Basically, I hate the new version intensely want to downgrade and turn off updates until you guys can fix these issues. I am used to the old interface and like it. The new interface is much clunkier. and requires a lot more user interaction to do something as simple as generating a new complex password.

How can I downgrade?? I want my old 1Password back.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3 (70300020) 1Password Store
    Extension Version: 4.7.4.90
    OS Version: OSX 10.14.5
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:Do not like the new version for Mac

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gordonware: It's two clicks. Or you can press ⌘ ↓ to get there with the keyboard. Or you can just start typing and 1Password will immediately give you search results. Give it a try. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@doctormo: Thanks for the Suggestions suggestion! It's certainly something we can consider, adding Tags there too. But most people find that search is much more efficient than scrolling through lists of items, tags, etc. Especially as we each get more data over time (rarely less), taking advantage of the lightning quick search helps a ton. :)

• appl4ever
    appl4ever
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben

Would you mind elaborating about your workflow with this? You can still generate passwords without saving them (by selecting cancel), but I'm curious what the point is of generating passwords you don't intend to save?

He didn't, but I will. I hate the new password generator, for this reason. I often generate passwords for other users, such as MySQL passwords or even a temporary password. I don't want to save them, I just want to pass them on. The old interface was great for this: Password Generator->Copy->Done. The new interface is not at all. I apparently can't copy them without saving, so now I have a bunch of random passwords filling up my vault.

Please fix this!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Steve_H: Thanks for the kind words, and for mentioning that you needed to restart. It's seems to be affecting some users, and is something we're looking into.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@appl4ever: I don't think we're going to be designing around the use case of generating passwords with 1Password and then sending them to other people outside of 1Password. We design 1Password's built-in features for use within the context of 1Password itself, since that's how the vast majority of people use it -- and frankly anything outside of that is an unknown quantity, both as far as usability but also security. It is interesting to hear that someone is using it that way though. Thank you! :)

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks brenty,

Question- Why is the edit button in two different locations between mini and main program?
    Took a minute to find it

• appl4ever
    appl4ever
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty wow that's very disappointing because the old interface was fine. You actually redesigned it out for no reason. As you can see, I'm not the only one either. It would be a very simple fix- just add a copy button or allow copying without saving. I'm really not sure if I'm going to continue using 1Password going forward if that's the attitude.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The biggest needed improvement to 1Password X is missing. No support for TouchID.

@FogCityNative: I'm not sure I follow some of your comments. 1Password X is not part of our Mac app; you can use the companion extension for the desktop app if you want Touch ID support (which we've had on macOS since day one):

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

You can download it here:

https://1password.com/downloads/#browsers

I really do not like the new version of 1Password.

I don't like not seeing my categories in the pop-up window. You have added extra keystrokes and I still cannot just have the categories, all of them, displayed in the lefthand box.

1Password mini is itself a "pop-up window", so that's unavoidable and not anything new. But if you want quick access to categories, you can click the "Suggestions" menu or press ⌘ ↓ to view them.

So when I search I get more than my logins. And I have to do two extra clicks to just show only my logins.

Can you elaborate on why it would be helpful to view all of your Logins at once in the browser? 1Password shows the ones matching the current website by default, and that hasn't changed. I

Getting to the password generator is much harder in the new version plus when I click + Password, I get the generator but it does not autofill the page on which I am trying to create a new password generator. nor does it seems to remember the new password I just generated and copied and pasted (since there is no FILL button). I already had to do a password reset to mozilla.org because the password generator didn't save the generated password anywhere.

This is exactly as many clicks as it was previously. It sounds like you just need to click "Save & Copy" to grab the password so that 1) it's on your clipboard to paste exactly where you need it, and 2) 1Password saves a Password item for it (because you told it to by using it).

And the generator defaults to the gibberish generator and not to the memorable words generator I prefer.

That's because they're more secure and more compatible. Many sites have length restrictions and require something other than just letters, so we use sane defaults that are useful to most people. 1Password does not and should not care about personal preferences with password composition, as the purpose of passwords isn't for us to gaze upon them longingly and develop an emotional attachment, but to help us be sure by keeping the bad guys out of our accounts. The whole reason 1Password exists is to make it easier to use a long, strong, unique password for each site by saving and filling them for us, so we don' have to remember or type them -- or even look at them. A character-based password will always be stronger than a word-based password of the same length, and is going to be accept by websites in more cases as well. The only purpose of word-based passwords is for instances where using a better character-based password is infeasible, since it needs to be remembered, typed, read aloud, etc.

Basically, I hate the new version intensely want to downgrade and turn off updates until you guys can fix these issues. I am used to the old interface and like it. The new interface is much clunkier. and requires a lot more user interaction to do something as simple as generating a new complex password. How can I downgrade?? I want my old 1Password back.

I don't know what is meant by "clunkier" exactly, but it's exactly as many clicks to generate and use a new password as it was already. I understand that it can be an adjustment since things look sightly different now though. If you have specific requests as far as things you would like to see adjusted that would improve the experience for everyone, let us know.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@appl4ever: There were definitely things about the previous mini that were "fine" and even "great", but plenty of room for improvement as well. We weren't going to ignore all the constructive criticism we received about it, just like we're not going to ignore the feedback we're receiving now. Can't have it both ways. If the only specific feedback you have on the new UI is that you'd like a "copy (only)" button instead of "Save & Copy", that really doesn't seem as dire as you make it out to be, and it's certainly something to consider. But that has to be weighed against the very real problem of people getting locked out of accounts because they didn't save a password just like you're proposing. If we toss out feedback from everyone else who reached out to us previously, that's a precedent that could just as easily leave you on the receiving end next time someone wants some changes that conflict with what you've asked for. It's a double-edged sword. It is impossible to please everyone all the time, but we're committed to continue listening to everyone to try to find the best balance we can. :)

• appl4ever
    appl4ever
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Apologies- when I referred to as "fine" I was specifically talking about the Password Generator, not the entire mini. There were certainly issues with the old one that are better in the new one (even though I'm not a fan of the new one overall - though I've only briefly used it). I also found out that the old generator was saving passwords - I cleaned up 100 passwords just from the past year that were only temporary ones! So you can see how much I use it. So yes, adding a non-default (drop down even) copy only button would be great. I'm glad you clarified that you are taking suggestions into account - I did not get that from your first post. So I do look forward to the iterations made from feedback.

• Doug in Alaska
    Doug in Alaska
    Community Member
    Options

I had to restart my macs in order for the update to work. The mini now works most of the time but occasionally, click and nothing. Frustrating to say the least.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@appl4ever: I guess I'm surprised that I would need to say it explicitly here given that this whole update is due to us taking suggestions into account, but you're right that I glossed over that. :blush: It sounds like the only thing you're having trouble with is the password generator, and that sounds pretty good to me. This is the first iteration of our "2.0" of that in 1Password for Mac, so it's something I'm sure will get some tweaks in the coming weeks and months. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Doug in Alaska: I'm glad to hear that you're up and running after a restart. A few people have reported something similar, and we're looking into it. Thanks for bringing it up!

• Doug in Alaska
    Doug in Alaska
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for looking into it!

This discussion has been closed.