Password type to display characters position (Feature Request)

AlvaroR
AlvaroR
Community Member

Hi,
I would like to know if it could be possible to have a password type that displays the position of each character. Usually, banks have a password policy that requests a few numbers of the password. E.g. Position 2, position 5 and position 9. At the moment this is available on "Show in large type" only, but it would be good to have the password concealed and display those number on reveal.
Thanks
Alvaro

1Password Version: 7.3 (70300020)
Extension Version: 4.7.4.90
OS Version: 10.14.5 (18F132)
Sync Type: 1Password Cloud

Comments

• Hi @AlvaroR

I'm not aware of any plans for anything beyond what we already offer with Large Type, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll pass it along to the team for further consideration. :+1:

Ben

• Moorlander
    Moorlander
    Community Member

When I choose the Large Type option to display password on iOS I cannot see the character position numbers displayed, just the large type version of the password

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Moorlander,

1Password for iOS and Android are currently exceptions to the rule. In 1Password for Mac and Windows as well as both the web interface and the standalone extension 1Password X for our 1Password account users, they all display the index when using the large type view. I suspect the reason the two mobile apps differ is to better accommodate the much smaller screens.

I have to admit I hadn't realised this difference existed for the longest time as it turned out that through my own personal use I had only ever used the large type view (to get the indexes) on the Mac. I only bank on my own devices and if I'm on the phone I'm using the bank's own app in favour of a cramped web interface and all of which allow the use of Touch/Face ID for quick unlock.

I wonder if you can help me better understand the scenarios where I'm assuming you're wanting to sign into your bank account on a machine that doesn't have 1Password but where you wouldn't want to use the bank's app on your iOS device. I can't promise there will be change but the first step is to understand the need as otherwise it's hard to convincingly argue a case for any particular request.

I have focussed on banks purely because I don't think I've ever seen this approach to passwords outside of financial institutes. They seem to love it whilst I can't think of another category of sites that see a benefit over a simple password field.

This discussion has been closed.