What happened to the categories in the left pane of Mini?

Options
2»

Comments

• nealg
    nealg
    Community Member
    Options

Replying to @Herbinator. I have 626 entries in 1Password and at times I cannot remember what I may have labeled something. Without tags at least in the Mini it makes it a chore to search down through the list to find the item. I am more of a visual search person rather than using keyboard shortcuts. In that I mean I can more easily find what I am looking for in a cascading nested menu of groups of items.
    We need Tags as a minimum in the Mini but I would certainly prefer cascading menus.

• andycap
    andycap
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not a particularly sophisticated user of 1PW (as many of the above posters clearly are) and probably not one that would make much use of the Suggestions feature. My main target for the Mini is Favourites and I too find the fact that the Mini defaults to the Suggestion mode whenever it's invoked annoying. While it's not a big deal to select Favourites from the drop down, I now have to do this every time the Mini is redisplayed. I would just like to add to the chorus for this default to be a preference that can be set...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@andycap: Thanks for your feedback. It's something we're exploring.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Wilson828: That's exactly the point of 1Password mini and always has been: to make it easy to get the items you need in the browser. For a long time that was really only talking into account Logins, with more recent changes being made to allow 1Password mini to offer Credit Card and Identity items for filling too, since those are the other things people often use in the browser. Can you tell me specifically what you're having difficulty with? We're definitely open to tweaking it where it makes sense to do so, but that can only happen by understanding the problem you're having. Thanks. :)

• juanitito
    juanitito
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    sorry to weigh in on this but it is pretty obvious that the new interface is a step back in terms of flexibility and user-friendliness. I have been a 1password user for a decade, I have seen the product evolve and it is the first time that I feel the need to complain. I can't for the life of me understand the logic behind your last interface changes. The access to the password generator is completely counter-intuitive (I've just tried to explain the new philosophy to my 82 years old father, it was a fun hour and a half).
    When using the Chrome extension to generate a password for a new login we must create a new password and then convert it into a login. It seems unnecessarily confusing. I have checked the other thread regarding the password generator in 7.3 and I understand that you made extensive changes to the SPG. That being said, the changes made to the UI are not an improvement. I understand the intention to "catch" every new password but there was no real problem with the old version. Also, the left panel and suggestions are not helping.
    You must realize that changes made to a Saas product are sensitive. We already bought the product and we trust your ability not to mess it up at every update. Please be more considerate in the future, keep in mind that we buy your product and also recommend it to our families, friends, and clients. We are invested in this product too.

• dylan08
    dylan08
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

after having some trouble switching to 1PW7 last year I'm happy with the new version until I updated to 7.3.
    I agree with everyone in this thread. I do not understand the intention behind the new logic of 1PW mini.
    Maybe you could take some hints from this thread and hand it over to the dev/gui team.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @juanitito! Thanks for taking the time to come here and share your views regarding the new 7.3 iteration of 1Password 7 for Mac. I'm sorry you're finding it less-than-optimal for your setup. The recent changes from the 7.2 iteration of 1Password 7's mini are a direct result of a considerable amount of user feedback that is (apparently, if I'm reading you correctly) nearly 180° opposite from yours. I say that not to try to refute or devalue what your experience has been, but to say that with a user-base the size ours has become, virtually any change will result in delighting some users and annoying others. We do indeed actively solicit, listen to and try to learn from/make changes based on user feedback. Indeed, that's one of the main points of this forum -- to give you, our users, a platform for letting us know your experiences. So thanks for taking the time to be a part of it. :)

I'm a little unclear on what you're getting at on some of your points, however:

The access to the password generator is completely counter-intuitive (I've just tried to explain the new philosophy to my 82 years old father, it was a fun hour and a half).

One of the goals of the re-design was to make sure that the mini returned to being a vehicle mostly for filling, not too many other things. In version 7.2.6 and earlier, the Password Generator was available here:

In the new version 7.3, it's now here:

I suppose opinions can vary regarding which of those two is more immediately obvious/accessible, but my own preference is the 7.3 version, and even if others prefer the previous iteration, I don't think it's accurate to suggest locating it is "counter-intuitive." If that's not what you meant, can you clarify? Similarly, the actual usage was simplified. In 7.2.6 and earlier it looked like this:

and included sliders for numerals and symbols. Now, it looks like this:

...with a single slider for overall number of characters (in the random generator), plus simple checkboxes for numerals and symbols. I have an aging parent as well who doesn't adapt to changes in application UIs easily also...but I'm not sure how this would take up 90 minutes. The functionality is mostly the same, and even the layout isn't very different. Can you give us a little more clarity into what seemed difficult or required "a new philosophy?" Thanks.

If you have an existing Login item for which you want to change a password, you should use these instructions to do that, rather than generating a separate password item. If you are creating a new Login item for a site at which you did not previously have an account, you can (and should) use the Password Generator to create the password for you. Generate the password, click "Copy" and paste it into the field (or use autofill), then -- unless there's an issue with the specific site in question (which does happen, infrequently) -- you can click "Login" after entering your details, and 1Password should offer to save it as a Login item for you. If that doesn't happen, make sure Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them is checked in Preferences > Browsers.

If these aren't your experiences, can you give us a bit more detail about what specific steps you took and what didn't work the way you expected?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dylan08 - thanks for the feedback. Indeed, it was considerable user feedback that led to the changes you see in the current 7.3 mini, which I suppose proves nothing more than with a large user-base, it's impossible to please everyone. If you have specific recommendations, feel free to let us know and we'll take them into account.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2019
    Options

@Wilson828

In an echo chamber such as this thread it is easy to come to the false impression that there is consensus on a topic which only further fuels frustrations you may be feeling. As Lars mentioned we've continued to evolve 1Password over time based largely on customer feedback, and will continue to do so.

We are looking at the possibility of bringing tags back into the mini UI. I can't promise that will happen, but it is something we're looking closely at. If we can find a way to do so in an elegant fashion that will address many of the (legitimate) concerns that are being raised, I imagine we will do so.

Any time we make a change it is going to interrupt someone's workflow, which is not ideal, and we try to minimize that impact as much as possible. That isn't a good reason to stop trying to improve the product, though. Admittedly we don't always get it right on the first try. The mini that you see in v7.2, which you seem to like, received a ton of negative feedback from customers when it launched. One of the main complaints is that it had too much "jammed" in it. It seems you appreciated having quick access to that level of information, but that certainly was not universally true. For others, it got in the way.

We'll continue to work toward the best possible solution. Thank you for the feedback, and for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Ben

• bdroullard
    bdroullard
    Community Member
    Options

I've been a huge fan of 1Password. I introduced it to our company years ago and we use it extensively. Sadly, I'm disappointed and wish, as many have commented, that I could go back to the previous version.

I have several web applications that have hundreds of different logins depending on the resource I am pulling from. With the previous version, after searching for a resource and auto-filling the form, it would remember which resource I searched for. Now, it sends me back to the full list and I have to re-search for the resource if I want to make any edits to the 1Password data.

Another related issue happens when signing into a Google account. I have many different Google logins. When signing in, I'll search for and auto-fill the email. Then when I go to the next page for the password, it doesn't remember which Google account I used in the first form, so I have to re-search for the account and select auto-fill again. Super frustrating. I seem to remember a couple of versions ago that 1Password actually filled the password for me when I moved to the next form in Google sign-in. That was even better.

We're a software company so we understand the pain when trying to make changes for all our customers. However, it seems that the most recent changes have had a significant negative impact on all of us. Hope your team can take this to heart and make the necessary changes to make the product even better.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @bdroullard! First of all, thanks so much for being a long-time 1Password user! I'm surprised this is your first post here if you've been with us that long, but glad to get the chance to meet you. :)

The issue with multi-page logins is indeed a regression, and we're looking into a fix for it. I don't have anything to share on it just now, but that one's definitely on our radar screen.

...it seems that the most recent changes have had a significant negative impact on all of us.

It might indeed seem that way, based upon only a reading of the comments here on this board (or possibly on Twitter as well), but that tends to be a function of people who have issues being the ones who are by far the most-likely to speak up. With a customer-base the size of ours, virtually any change has the potential to be dissatisfying to a (hopefully small) number of users, and those will be the ones you'll see making their opinions known. There are of course exceptions, but people don't tend to take the time to write in to say “everything’s great!"

Nevertheless, we're glad for the feedback and we'll continue to iterate and make sure 1Password is as bug-free and workflow-enabling (instead of hindering) for as many people as possible. Thanks again. :)

ref: apple-3732

• bdroullard
    bdroullard
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Lars. I appreciate your response. I've not had a need to post anything until now! Sorry for the frustration. Glad the multi-page login issue is on the radar screen. That'll be very helpful. I do appreciate everything you folks are doing. Onward!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, I'm sorry for any frustration or adjustment with the new version. We've made these changes in response to feedback going back literally a year, but nothing is set in stone and we'll continue to listen and evolve 1Password over time. Thank you! :chuffed:

• dylan08
    dylan08
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Thanks for reply. I know it is a difficult task to create a GUI all customers are happy with :)

One annoying thing in the old mini was the small arrow to open one topic/element in the left pane. Sometimes after a search it doesn't show up for the first item. You have to select another item and go back to get the option to open the item. Thats better in the new gui.

One thing I would recommend for the new GUI is the order items are displayed after I have done a search. Is it possible to get Login Items first? Currently, if I search for my bank, I get Credit Cards, Bank Accounts, and last in the list the login item which I would open.

• Ben
    Options

@dylan08

I'm not sure it would be universally true that folks would want / expect Login items to be prioritized in mini's search, though we have had a couple of requests for that. We have an open issue on the subject to brainstorm with design and development to see what the thoughts are on that.

Thanks!

Ben

ref: apple-3766

This discussion has been closed.