Upgraded from 1Password 6 to 7.3, Safari Extension no longer works plus other bizarre behaviour.

Options
DrewC
DrewC
Community Member

Hi there, I recently decided to upgrade from 1Password 6 which had worked beautifully for years to 1Password 7.3. I have two problems:

1/ the Safari extension provided by 1Password 7.3 does not work in my version of Safari. I am running Safari 11.1.2 and macOS 10.13.6. I cannot run a more recent version of macOS as I am using an old 11-inch MacBook Air which cannot be upgraded beyond macOS High Sierra. The Safari extension is installed but it is greyed out and there is a red "bubble" over the extension icon which I think says "incompatible with this version of Safari" (though I cannot read it in full).

2/ the 1Password 7.3 application keeps "grabbing focus" every time I switch to new page on the internet (any website, any page, doesn't matter). What I mean is, I could be viewing a page in Safari and click a link to switch to a different page on that site, or switch to a completely different website using a bookmark. The page will load and immediately afterwards my Mac will switch "Desktops" to the Desktop where 1Password 7.3 is open and I need to switch Desktops back to Safari to view the page. (I use the Desktops feature of macOS to allow me to use apps full screen given the small viewing size of the 11-inch MBA.)

I have rebooted my Mac several times and closed, opened Safari several times, tried turning off and on the 1Password Safari Extension multiple times.

What can i do? I rely on 1Password constantly throughout my day and now it is next to useless to me. :(

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: 7.3
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password sync service

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DrewC: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the difficulty. What you're describing sounds like something we had for Safri like a decade ago. Could you please clarify what you're seeing in Safari Preferences > Extensions? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• DrewC
    DrewC
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply Brenty. Here are two screen shots, one of the preferences window pane and the other of a portion of my Safari toolbar.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DrewC,

Thank you for the screenshots. The configuration in Safari looks correct to me, so let's make sure that the 1Password configuration is also correct. If you open the Applications folder on your Mac, how many copies of 1Password do you see there? Do you by chance still have both 1Password 7 and the old 1Password 6 you upgraded from?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DrewC: Sorry, I should have caught this in your original comments. You're having this problem because Safari is out of date. Please update it and then it will work with the new Safari App Extensions. :)

• DrewC
    DrewC
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana, There is only one copy of 1Password in my Applications folder, and in fact on my MacBook (I did a Finder search on "1Password"). It is 1Password 7".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DrewC: I think we were commenting at the same time. Please see my comment above. :)

• DrewC
    DrewC
    Community Member
    Options

THANKYOU! :) Yes, that was the problem, my version of Safari was out of date. The Mac App Store had never offered to update it for me ... I keep my System Software up to date (still using High Sierra as I mentioned in my opening comment), but a newer version of Safari was never presented to me in the App Store so naturally I thought I was on the latest available for High Sierra. I read the comments on thread you linked to and found the installer for 12.1.1 and everything is now working properly as it should. I appreciate your time in helping me solve this problem and I am so happy to have 1Password "back" again. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of brenty, you are very welcome @DrewC. In hindsight, I should have probably noticed that Safari was out-of-date from your first post, but I am happy that everything is working as expected now :P

This discussion has been closed.