Continued de-evolution of 1Password browser extension

Options
scoobydoo88
scoobydoo88
Community Member
edited June 2019 in Mac

First, I have just spent 10 minutes researching my 1P extension, the update history, navigating to this website, logging in, etc. just because I have already been inconvenienced so much that I felt the need to post! My 1P Firefox extension UPDATED ITSELF last week, even though I have always disabled auto updates for exactly this reason. I assume that a previous update overrode my preferences (correct me if I'm wrong, but you override customer prefs to FORCE auto updates with every new release, right?) Much like Apple, Agilebits continues to release updates that degrade the user experience, become less useful, less intuitive, and more disruptive of my workflow.

The new 1P mini popup has a distracting, confusing, and non-intuitive layout and content. The previous layout (which was, itself, a step in the wrong direction) is gone, replaced by a cryptic hodgepodge of logins, identities, credit cards, etc. with no apparent order or reason, other than the first one, which is for the current page. Second, my password is now shown in PLAIN TEXT, so with someone looking over my shoulder, oops, 1P just compromised my account. Finally, the floating popup continues to infuriate. WHY was it changed from a static window attached to the toolbar? It now causes 2x, 3x, sometimes 10x more work for me EVERY TIME I use 1P (that's multiple times a day) literally thousands of clicks of wasted time and effort. For example: some websites do not allow autofill or cut and paste. I need to open 1P mini, reveal my password, then KEEP THAT WINDOW OPEN so I can manually type the 32-character complex password into the site. But, when I enter the first character on the webpage, POOF! 1P mini disappears. So now, I need to reopen, try to MEMORIZE a few characters, type them in, re-open 1P mini, and repeat. (Yes, I know I can open full 1P, but doesn't that defeat the point of a browser plugin?) In addition, I create complex security question answers and store them in 1P. So, the same applies - enter the first security question answer, but POOF! 1P disappears, and I need to reopen to answer the second question, and repeat.

Do you just have people sitting around trying to figure out how to, as Tim Cook said, "let the interface just get out of the way"?? Because, news flash, I NEED the interface!

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: 4.7.4.90
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: n/a

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@scoobydoo88: Sorry for the confusion, but we have zero control over updates in Firefox. Sometimes even with autoupdates on we find people with outdated versions that need to update manually, so clearly there's something going on there. You can always get the latest from us though:

https://1password.com/downloads/#browsers

Your password should only be shown in plain text if you're holding down the Option key, or have for some reason disabled the "Conceal Passwords" option in 1Password's View menu. Check that out and let me know if that helps.

If you want to pin an item's details on the screen to copy and paste, drag and drop, etc., you can click the "Pin on screen" button at the bottom:

And you can bring up 1Password mini again at any time using ⌘ ⌥ \.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.