To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can't install 1password on new computer. can't get emergency kit - HELP!

tedaz
tedaz
Community Member

Hope someone can help me. Have new laptop. changing business environments. moved vault directory.

Unable to register and download 1password on new laptop. using version 4. I will gladly upgrade to new version. Old desktop (windows) still has it installed and is working. I have a license key on it as well. I've done everything I can think of to sing in on web to install but for life of me I can't remember which email it is tied to. I tried every email i can think of but it says not registered.

any way to retrieve the vital info from my system so I can reinstall. I have my life stored on this and I'm getting pretty nervous.

thanks for any help you can provide.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• tedaz
    tedaz
    Community Member

OK, after digging deeper I see I need to upgrade to newest version with monthly fee. If I do this, will my laptop be able to access my old vault with the passwords or do I have to start over with a whole new account? thx.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @tedaz! I'm sorry for the trouble and confusion. You do not have to upgrade to a 1password.com membership just to use 1Password 7 for Windows, but we strongly recommend it, for multiple reasons. If you prefer, standalone licenses are indeed still available for 1Password 7 for Windows, but going forward, a 1password.com membership is going to be far and away your best bet.

Here are instructions for upgrading to 1Password 7 for Windows. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

• tedaz
    tedaz
    Community Member

Lars - thanks for the quick response and upgrade instructions. I will tackle it this morning and report back if i need help.

• :+1: :)

Ben

• tedaz
    tedaz
    Community Member

Hoping to get my IT environment stabilized over the next few days.

Have a few questions:
    -As I install the latest 1 Password membership on my new Windows PC, will it be able to access the old vault that my other old PC uses with 1PW ver 4?
    - Can I start over with a new vault so I have a clean and fresh vault? I noticed I have a lot of garbage in my old one from many years of use. I downloaded to excel all my info so it would be easy to do.
    - If I do the above, how do I know which vault to delete?
    - is it easy to uninstall and install the newest membership version on my old PC without it causing conflicts with leftover files,etc from version 4?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks again for the support. Much appreciated.

• @tedaz

-As I install the latest 1 Password membership on my new Windows PC, will it be able to access the old vault that my other old PC uses with 1PW ver 4?

This would not be recommended. 1Password 7 requires the OPVault sync format for which support in 1Password 4 for Windows never really became 100% stable. What would be the reason for keeping the one PC on v4?

• Can I start over with a new vault so I have a clean and fresh vault? I noticed I have a lot of garbage in my old one from many years of use. I downloaded to excel all my info so it would be easy to do.

You could select all of the existing items in the current vault and delete them, then only add the items back that you want to keep.

• is it easy to uninstall and install the newest membership version on my old PC without it causing conflicts with leftover files,etc from version 4?

Yes, the key part is to be sure the Primary vault is deleted.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.