Three-field login form difficulties

Options

I'm a customer of NS&I (a government-backed bank) and I'm having difficulties auto-filling on my iPhone and Windows/Mac computers.

They have a three-field login form of which 1Password only fills in the second two. Once all three sections are completed, you're immediately logged in to your account - there are no other security challenges.

The top field "NS&I number" (a numeric account number) does not auto-fill (illustrated by the orange arrow) and I have to manually go into 1Password, copy the number and then paste it back into the web browser. To illustrate what I mean see the screenshot.

The login URL is:

https://secure3.nsandi.com/thc/policyenforcer/pages/loginB2C.jsf

I've tried the normal trick of updating the login but that doesn't work.

I'm a 1Password member running the latest stable versions on all platforms and am using browser extension (4.7.4) in Safari and Chrome.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gazu!

Can you please try saving the login manually in your browser using these instructions? I have just tried doing that and, afterwards, 1Password was able to fill all three fields correctly for me in Chrome.

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana

Thanks for the speedy response. I'm pleased to report those instructions have worked on my computers.

However I still face the same issue on iOS. Is there anything I can do to fix it on that platform?

Maybe there's something in the Apple framework that prevents it from auto-filling the top field.

One other thing, I may have come across a bug in 1Password for iOS (7.3.2) whilst testing the above:

when you update a login username in 1Password the auto-fill integration in Safari doesn't automatically update unless you go to 1Password - Settings - Password AutoFill and wait for "AutoFill Passwords Updating..." to show a tick. Then when you return to Safari the new username is now there.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019
    Options

@gazu - hrm, I'm not seeing that behavior here. I don't have an account there, but I saved a Login item using the manual method ag_ana suggested and dummy data, which not only worked in Safari on my Mac, but also just now worked in 1Browser when tapping the item's URL directly in 1Password for iOS:

(and yes, my test user name is often *"Flintstone"* Don't judge me. ;) )

Can you try that as well? See if it works in 1Browser for you? If so -- but it's NOT working when you try it in Safari, then you may very well be right...or we may have a filling bug with this particular site. I just want to make sure your behavior matches mine. Let me know.

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars (or should I say, Fred) 8-)

By following Ana's suggestion earlier I managed to fix it on my Windows 10 PC and MacBook Pro - my issue now is just on iOS.

The site does work in 1Browser - I've just tried it. I'd almost forgotten about 1Password because I remember reading a while back that it was being deprecated. Personally I like 1Browser but I was getting alerts on some websites that I was using an out-of-date browser: "Chrome 62 on macOS (High Sierra)" - the fake user agent string needs updating.

However when I return to regular iOS Safari (you can reproduce the behaviour without an account) the same issue occurs; the bottom two fields populate.

The other 'bug' (separate from this issue although discovered when troubleshooting this) is that "Password Autofill" doesn't seem to update existing entries until the option is manually clicked in the app.

Steps to reproduce:

• Create a dummy account in 1Password for XYZ site
    • Use "Flintstone" as the username and "Password" as the password
    • Go into Safari, visit XYZ site and you'll see "Flintstone" suggested
    • Update the username to "Fred" on another system, e.g. Windows
    • Sync 1Password iOS by opening and closing the iOS app
    • Go into Safari
    • The suggested account will appear with the old username

The only way to fix this is to launch 1Password and go to Settings - Password AutoFill and wait for "AutoFill Passwords Updating..." to show a tick. When you next return to Safari the new username ("Fred") is now there.

If you're able to reproduce this behaviour it's a bug in the syncing logic of 1Password unless it's an intentional feature to reduce battery drain etc. It could be fixed by automatically updating AutoFill Passwords whenever a change is detected or upon app launch.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gazu: Yeah iOS is a complex situation. We only have any control over filling using our Share [ ↑ ] extension, but that's limited in what it can do for security reasons. That's a good thing overall, but it does mean that we don't get all of the cool stuff we can do on the desktop. On the other hand, you've got iOS Password Autofill, which is really convenient and reliable -- for filling standard (two field -- username and password) login forms. We don't have any control over that feature whatsoever, as it's part of the OS.

However, what you're talking about with "syncing" is a bit different: that's all 1Password (obviously), but the app cannot sync unless you open it. That's what you're seeing there.

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member
    Options

However, what you're talking about with "syncing" is a bit different: that's all 1Password (obviously), but the app cannot sync unless you open it.

@brenty Opening the 1Password app is not sufficient - you've got to take extra steps:

• Launch 1Password
    • Go to Settings Password AutoFill
    • Wait for "AutoFill Passwords Updating..." to show a tick

From what you're saying, all I need to do is open 1Password. That is not sufficient to update the AutoFill iOS data - you've got to invoke it manually: hence why I think it may be a bug. Are you able to replicate this behaviour?

On the original matter I've still been unable to AutoFill all fields in Safari (it does work in 1Browser).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Opening the 1Password app is not sufficient - you've got to take extra steps:

• Launch 1Password
    • Go to Settings Password AutoFill
    • Wait for "AutoFill Passwords Updating..." to show a tick

@gazu: I'm 100% certain that isn't accurate, as I have literally never done that. So Autofill would always have stale data on my device were that the case.

From what you're saying, all I need to do is open 1Password. That is not sufficient to update the AutoFill iOS data - you've got to invoke it manually: hence why I think it may be a bug. Are you able to replicate this behaviour?

Can you tell me what you mean by "invoke it manually"?

On the original matter I've still been unable to AutoFill all fields in Safari (it does work in 1Browser).

Indeed. As I mentioned above, while iOS Password Autofill can work in places 1Password itself cannot due to its level of system integration, it works with only three pieces of information: URL, username, and password. It doesn't use anything else at all. 1Password's filling Brain can work with odd forms like "three field" setups in many cases, though it does not have the benefit of the OS-level integration and cannot work in some situations at all.

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty

I'm 100% certain that isn't accurate, as I have literally never done that. So Autofill would always have stale data on my device were that the case.

I've provided a step-by-step list of how to replicate the bug.

Maybe 1Password updates the AutoFill list daily etc. - does it?

Can you tell me what you mean by "invoke it manually"?

See the bulleted list in the post directly above yours.

Opening the 1Password app is not sufficient - you've got to take extra steps:

Launch 1Password
    Go to Settings Password AutoFill
    Wait for "AutoFill Passwords Updating..." to show a tick

As I mentioned above, while iOS Password Autofill can work in places 1Password itself cannot due to its level of system integration...

Fair enough but I was under the impression that 1Browser is deprecated / being phased out.

It also suffers from the outdated user agent string, this causes a problem on some websites - see above.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I've provided a step-by-step list of how to replicate the bug.

@gazu: I appreciate that, but it doesn't seem to work. As I mentioned above, 1Password updates Autofill whenever it is launched. Going into that menu doesn't have any effect on that, apart from satisfying curiosity. The only time I have opened it was in testing this, yet 1Password updates all my stuff for Autofill.

Maybe 1Password updates the AutoFill list daily etc. - does it?

1Password can only send data to Autofill or the server when it is running; you just need to open the app.

See the bulleted list in the post directly above yours.

Thanks for clarifying. "Manually" suggested you were doing something yourself rather than 1Password doing it, so I didn't follow.

Fair enough but I was under the impression that 1Browser is deprecated / being phased out.

When it has outlived its usefulness, I have no doubt it will be removed. But a lot of people still like to be able to navigate to websites right within 1Password -- myself included. Probably we are just a few improvements away of Autofill supplanting it entirely though, provided Apple decides it's worth the effort.

It also suffers from the outdated user agent string, this causes a problem on some websites - see above.

That doesn't seem to be the case:

Certainly some websites with very rigid requirements will complain due to not recognizing it, but I'm seeing that less and less over time.

This discussion has been closed.