Watchtower discrepancies

rlgleason51
rlgleason51
Community Member

I've been cleaning watchtower on my mac and I noticed a discrepancy between my mac and my windows version (same computer, but using parallels) on my vulnerable passwords.

My mac shows 170. Windows shows 156. Now if there was a syncing issue, I would expect the numbers to be reversed.

Upon digging deeper, I noticed that some records are not included in the windows count, such as social security numbers, which are included in the mac count.

I am not going to get into the discussion as to what should be, should not be inlcuded in watchtower; nor will I get into having the ability to have ignored by watchtower......

But, one would expect both versions to contain the same warning records, would one not?

I have an account so I am running the latest released version of both.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @rlgleason51,

We've been saying it for years and still aren't quite there so it may sound a bit hollow at this point, but we are working toward cross-platform consistency, particularly for things like this. The biggest difficulty of course is that it is a moving target, and we don't want to lose our agility. Because each platform (generally) sets their own priorities and development schedule things aren't always going to line up. I'm not entirely surprised to hear that Watchtower behaves a little bit differently on Windows than it does on Mac.

Our Apple team does have an issue open to remove Social Security records from vulnerable password checking in Watchtower. It looks like they've made some progress on that, and hopefully we'll see that change in a beta build soon. Baby steps. :+1:

Ben

ref: apple-2310

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

As long as I’m not going crazy. I did kinda liked the way windows watchtower worked.

Thanks

• As long as I’m not going crazy

Whenever my colleague Lars says that I point out that is an independent variable. ;)

I did kinda liked the way windows watchtower worked.

That seems to be the direction we're heading. Thanks for the feedback.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.