A small annoyance ...

Newbie2018
Newbie2018
Community Member

Every time there is an update to 1P, I get the following error.

I always exit 1P from the menu (1Password 7 > Quit 1Password). And I see no 1P tasks running in Activity Monitor (at least, none labelled "1P"). Yet the 1P update process always seems to think that 1P is open. So I end up re-opening 1P, then doing a Force Quit. This solves the issue, but it's annoying having to do this every time there is an update.

Any better solution to this?

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: 7.3
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Newbie2018 - I'm sorry for the trouble. 1Password 7 > Quit 1Password does not fully quit 1Password. To Quit 1Password 7 completely, either use the keyboard shortcut ^⌥⌘Q, or just hold down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu (you will see it change from Quit 1Password, which quits the main 1Password app, to Quit 1Password Completely, which quits the app as well as 1Password mini in your menubar, when you do this).

Also, make sure you quit Safari before updating 1Password. In 1Password 7 for Mac, the 1Password extension in Safari is no longer a separate process that you download and install outside of the main 1Password app; it's actually part of 1Password. You can turn it off, but you can't remove it unless you delete 1Password itself. This can result in macOS telling you that 1Password is still running...because a part of it still is.

• Newbie2018
    Newbie2018
    Community Member

I'm guessing that it is not intuitive to the average 1P user that 1Password 7 > Quit 1Password does not fully quit 1P. But OK, thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Newbie2018 - it's one of the issues of constant debate, but it's not a bug - it's functioning as designed. The issue exists because many users do not want to have the main 1Password for Mac app open during their normal use of the Mac, but they do want 1Password functionality to be available in their browser as they browse the web. In order for us to be able to do that - allow the main app to be closed, but the mini/extension to still function - we offer two levels of "quit" in this way. If we made 1Password > Quit 1Password function in the way people normally expect (i.e. - fully quit all processes of the app), then they would lose 1Password functionality in their browser/Mac menubar immediately as well.

• Newbie2018
    Newbie2018
    Community Member

Yes, I understand. When the team next debates this item, maybe consider two menu options: 1Password > Quit App Only and, just below it, 1Password > Quit All. Just a thought ...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Newbie2018 - thanks for the suggestions! :)

This discussion has been closed.