What is the difference between the browser plugins 1Password and 1PasswordX?

What is the difference between the browser plugins 1Password and 1PasswordX? I'm having trouble finding a page that shows why I would want to use one over the other. I use both Chrome and Firefox, on Windows PCs.

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 1.15.3
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1passwordX

Comments

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

I asked this a few days ago,

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/513198#Comment_513198

Basically I took the plunge, deleted the old browser extension and changed to 1Password X and I don't regret it's just better. Do it!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @sloot ,

While I'm all for @Zaka_7 's attitude, allow me to explain:
    1Password X is an enhanced extension that connects directly to your 1Password.com account and works with it, so it does not require the desktop app to be installed, nor does it talk to it if it is present. There are many advantages to not needing the desktop app. Other than that, it has a different look and workflow that just feels better and more professional. It also has a better autofilling logic. You can learn more and download it here: https://support.1password.com/explore/whats-new-1password-x

Give it a go, try and work with it for a few days and if you don't like it, feel free to switch back :chuffed:

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

You'll try it and stick to it. Trust me :)

• tsalonia
    tsalonia
    Community Member

My main question here is What about the security aspect of having 1Password now directly integrated with the browser? I'm just concerned that the browser will now have deeper access and compromise is now more possible? Is this a concern? Can you explain how 1Password X protects against this?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @tsalonia! That's a really great question, and I'm glad you asked. We understand your concern, so we've laid out everything you need to know about 1Password X security in this article. I'd specifically take a look at the section titled, "Your data is protected in your browser." If that brings any questions to mind, let us know. :)

• sloot
    sloot
    Community Member

Thank you everyone. It sounds a little fuzzy. I need to keep desktop 1password running for other password purposes (I guess I could go to the browser plugin for those .. hmm). Does 1passwordX use more memory? I would think so, since it sounds like it has more functionality.

Is the classic-1password plugin still under development?

I guess as suggested, I'll try them both and figure out where I'm going.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @sloot ,

You can do everything in 1Password X and it can totally replace your desktop app. Granted it is not the most straight forward way to go about if you have passwords needs outside the browser, but it will still do the job.
    Since 1Password X is an extension, its memory is being managed by your browser. I never actually compared RAM consumption between the desktop app and the extension, since it both cases it is so negligible that I don't think anyone would care.

Trying it for yourself is indeed the best way to go :)

• tsalonia
    tsalonia
    Community Member

Is this ever going to be available for Safari?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

We are constantly working and examining options on how to make it work in Safari. We're very excited to see what Safari 13 will bring to the table :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.