1Password 7 no longer working with Chrome

ksevareid
ksevareid
Community Member
edited July 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

Chrome 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

After four years of bulletproof performance, no longer works with Chrome.

Works with Firefox as expected.

thanks,

Karl

1Password 7.3.1
How do I find the extension version?
Mac OS 10.12.6,
Sync Type: How do I determine this please?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ksevareid!

Can you please clarify what you mean by "not working" exactly?

Also, you can see the extension version from here: chrome://extensions/

Where you can click on "Details" next to the 1Password browser extension.

• ksevareid
    ksevareid
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana,

Thanks for commenting, and thanks for pointing me to chrome://extensions/

"Working" = Open a Chrome browser page, type command + \ , 1Password window opens, enter my password (unless I've done so recently). Start typing name of the website, type Return once the desired login is highlighted. 1Password loads the website login page in Chrome and enters my username and password (sometimes a little fiddly, depending on the website's design; may need to hit command + / again).

Now (last month or so?): Open a Chrome browser page, type command + \ , 1Password window opens, enter my password (unless I've done so recently). Start typing name of the website, type Return once the desired login is highlighted. 1Password loads the website login page in Chrome, with but with nothing filled in (unless maybe Chrome has stored my username for site). Hit command + / again (in the past this would prompt the entering of desired info; username and/or password). Website reloads with nothing filled. Rinse and repeat.

Variant: Depending on site: May open desired login page, displaying a 1Password icon in the username or password field: (graphic attached). Clicking on the icon prompts "Press Shift - Command - X to open 1Password" (graphic attached). Doing so then prompts for 1Password master password. Enter master password, am told password is incorrect.

Variant: Desired login page opens with nothing filled in. Retype Command + /. Website reloads with nothing filled.

Workaround: 1Password opens desired page, switch apps from Chrome to 1Password, copy/paste username and password. Better than not having 1Password at all, but I think you would agree "not working".

Workaround II: Use Firefox. 1Password works as expected. Downside: I'd rather work in Chrome.

thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ksevareid: When you're doing this, do you have any Chrome tabs/windows open already?

• ksevareid
    ksevareid
    Community Member

@brenty,

Yes, lots, always :-)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @ksevareid,

We currently have two extensions, one we call 1Password X and the other I refer to as the 1Password companion extension. The companion extension requires either 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows and its the one that works with 1Password when you use the keyboard shortcut ⌘\ for filling and it's the one needed for open-and-fill when its initiated from 1Password for Mac.

I say all of this because the text Press Shift - Command - X to open 1Password is specific to the 1Password X extension. As it was initially designed as a standalone extension to add support for Linux and ChromeOS it doesn't work with the native application.

I think if you remove 1Password X and install the companion extension using this link, 1Password extension - Chrome Web Store you should see the expected behaviour return to Chrome. If that isn't the cause and solution please let us know.

• ksevareid
    ksevareid
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables,

Done and done; I don't know what ever moved me to install 1Password X but that's no doubt where I went awry.
    Thank you, sir or madam!

Karl

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad lil bobby was able to help! We're working on having 1Password X integrate with the desktop apps, so it's a bit confusing right now -- as you and I proved earlier :lol: -- but we're working toward simplifying things. Anyway, sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need us. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.