Suggest password based on active window?

drewson
drewson
Community Member

I know that there are limitations on detecting the context of which passwords to suggest, but I'm wondering if there is support (that I'm just missing) or if it is planned to allow me to specify in a login's settings if I want it to be suggested based on the application that has focus (I'm on macOS).

For example, I use Terminal quite a bit and my workflow to get passwords for remote sessions includes CMD-Option-/ then typing in search criteria. There are a few passwords that I use so much that it would be nice to have them pop up as suggestions when I activate 1Password when a given program (in this case, Terminal) is active. Beyond terminal, I could see using this for other apps like an email client, development IDE, etc. It wouldn't likely be able to detect which one I need, but I could at least have a handful to choose from at the application level vs having to search on everything.

Does this make sense? Is this possible or on the road map?

1Password 7
Version 7.3.1 (70301007)
Mac App Store

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.5 (18F203)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

Hi @drewson,

So we have some support at the moment where a hardcoded list associates certain application bundle IDs with domains. A good example of this is the App Store or iTunes applications, if you access 1Password mini from either it will show you your Apple Login items. What we don't have but that would be very cool is if this could become user configurable. I don't know if this will happen but it certainly is something I'd also love to see.

ref: apple-1393

• drewson
    drewson
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables Thanks for the info!

So... feel free to delete this post or disclaim it, etc - but I found this file and added my own entry like "com.apple.Terminal": "terminal.localhost", put in a corresponding entry in the Login and it worked.

/Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/OnePasswordCommon.framework/Versions/A/Resources/bundleid_to_url.json

I'm sure it'll get wiped out at the next program update and it's not supported, but it'll save me some time for now.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @drewson,

I'm surprised 1Password didn't throw a massive hissy fit and refuse to work, I would also expect that the extension would no longer appear in Safari and both for the same reason, any modification to an application bundle breaks the code signature, used to ensure an application's integrity. Due to the nature of the data a user places in 1Password the application is pretty paranoid about tampering, checking both the browser you want to interact with as well as itself as 1Password is built up of more than one moving piece. Likewise Safari is also pretty strict about letting even Safari App Extensions be present, also using the same code signature checking for its validation. For those reasons it's definitely not something I could ever suggest I'm afraid.

• drewson
    drewson
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables Understood - well I certainly understand if you end up logging this as a possible security hole and it doesn't work after some future update. It would be a nice feature have to be configurable, though!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:+1:

• IntlOrange
    IntlOrange
    Community Member

+1 for this issue and feature request, though I would think about it like this:

Just as individual 1Password entries have URLs attached (usually) that indicate when they should be suggested, I'd like a field on each entry where I could indicate "app" or "used in app" as in "Used in app = My VPN App". Then whenever My VPN App is in the foreground, and I invoke 1Password, the entry tagged with that app's name will show up first.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@IntlOrange - thanks for the suggestion! :)

• IntlOrange
    IntlOrange
    Community Member

@Lars — Or, even better: Rather than complicate the UI with another field, 1Password could just pay attention to which entries I use in which app, remember that, then promote the most-used ones to the top of the suggested list. For my use case (I always use the same work-related VPN password when using the same VPN application), after 1 or 2 times, my preferred password would always appear at the top (without any additional action on my part).

• drewson
    drewson
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

@Lars - +1 for @IntlOrange's ideas. 😃

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@drewson Noted. Thanks. :)

This discussion has been closed.