1Pv7 & Chrome Extn: A little warning would have been nice (any way to roll back the extension ver?)

jemenake
jemenake
Community Member

A couple of weeks ago, the 1Password extension in my browser stopped being able to connect to 1Password... on both my personal laptop and my office computer... on pretty much the same day.
Rebooting didn't help. I was stuck having to run 1Password as a separate app and pasting in my passwords.
After a couple of weeks of this, I figured something was definitely broken with the extension, so, on one of my computers, I removed and reinstalled the extension. Still broken.
Then, I noticed that there's a new version of of 1Password out. "Huh! Well, maybe the new extension only talks to the latest 1Password". So, I installed 1Password 7 and, presto, the extension could now see all of my vault contents. Yay!
And then 1Password 7 notified me that I needed to buy a subscription. Boo!
I tried getting it to find/inherit my existing license, but it wants a file and all I have is a license key.

Now, I get that you're not going to let existing "paid up-front" customers upgrade to v7 without coughing up more money. It's your business.
I also get that it's your right to break compatibility with pre-v7 versions in your browser extension.
But to have that browser extension automatically update to a version that doesn't work with a customer's bought-and-paid-for version just rings of "forced obsolescence", and is a move that, frankly, I would have thought is beneath Agilebits.

But, hey... it's your company.

Now, with that prologue, I hope you recognize the validity of my query, which is...

Do you have any suggestions for how a user might:
1. Roll their browser extension back to a version which is compatible with v6.x, and
2. Prevent that extension from updating

1Password Version: 7.x
Extension Version: 4.5.7
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jemenake,

As it stands Chrome makes it basically impossible to rollback to a previous version of an extension and it's either impossible or extremely difficult to stop Chrome from updating an extension. Much like with their own updates, they decided leaving the option with the user only results in updates not being applied which can have bad side effects if some of those updates are security related.

Now that aside, we didn't make any breaking changes to the extension, in fact I personally tested a variety of versions of 1Password to ensure that no positive changes being made for 1Password 7 would impact older users and I tested on both macOS and Windows. I'm extremely confident that the current extension does still work for users on something like 1Password 6 for Mac.

I'm not suggesting you haven't run into some sort of trouble, you clearly have but we haven't performed any sort of forced obsolescence.

If you wish to return to your previous copy of 1Password that is your choice and I will do my best to help. Of course we do recommend keeping 1Password up-to-date just as you would your operating system and your browsers but I do appreciate it isn't a free update this time. The primary reason I would ask you to consider this is because once a new major version is released it does mean the previous version is no longer being updated. Over time, changes to either the operating system or the browsers can result in compatibility issues and given what we, including everybody at 1Password, stores in 1Password its the sort of thing you want always working and available.

The choice does remain with you though. If you would like to return to the previous version please let me know what version you were using and I will do my best to assist. We may need to ask for a diagnostic report but we'll cross that bridge if we need to :smile:

This discussion has been closed.