Not returning Login item for account on login page, but then can find it after registering again

Options
bkord123
bkord123
Community Member
edited July 2019 in Mac

Gonna rant here a little about the randomness of 1Password. I've been using it for probably a decade and there's an aspect of it that has always drives me crazy. I'll give you a perfect example. I needed to sign on to Microsoft's website. I couldn't remember if I had a microsoft account so I did the 1Password keystroke and nothing came up. Fair enough. So I go through the trouble of setting up an account and when I enter my info here comes ol' 1Password asking me if I want to save it. The very site that they had no information on thirty seconds earlier they now realize I do have a sign on with them. I've been trying to convert my wife to 1P forEVER and every time I get close to doing it, this exact thing happens and she says, "See? They randomly don't ask me to save certain passwords." I've bought her several versions of the app that she refuses to use because of these inconsistencies. I, however, am able to use it because, even though it drives me wild, I know to expect 1P to randomly not have any idea which website I'm on only to know I DO have an account with that very site a minute later.

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @bkord123

I'm really sorry to hear about the trouble here. Let's see if we can figure out how to make this work better for you. Before we get started, I'd like to clarify a point in your example:

So I go through the trouble of setting up an account and when I enter my info here comes ol' 1Password asking me if I want to save it.

That sounds like exactly what 1Password is expected to do... when you sign up for an account it should be asking you if you want to save it. Did you perhaps mean that it is asking you to update an existing account instead? The next time this happens please make a note for me... track:

1. What is the URL to the page you were on when you hit ⌘\ to see if 1Password had any records, and turned up none
    2. What is the URL of the page where you get the prompt to update an existing item (when you had been lead to believe there were no existing items)
    3. What is the URL stored in the Login item for this page's website field (there may be multiple, please note each)

Please let me know the results of that. :+1:

Ben

• bkord123
    bkord123
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for such a quick reply. The issue I'm experiencing is that 1P didn't (and doesn't at times) recognize that I have a login for a site. I tried it again now and it worked which screams (user error) I know! In general, what should I check if 1P doesn't recognize a site that I do have a login with? Thanks again. p.s. Here's the link in question, but like I said, it works now. https://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=wsignin1.0&rpsnv=13&rver=7.1.6819.0&wp=MBI_SSL&wreply=https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/?lc=1033&lc=1033&id=74335&aadredir=1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bkord123:

In general, what should I check if 1P doesn't recognize a site that I do have a login with?

Generally speaking, you should check that the URL of the Login item is correct. 1Password looks at the domain of a URL to understand if you have a login for a website you are visiting. If the domain inside a Login item is different from the one of the website you are visiting, 1Password will not show you that Login item.

• bkord123
    bkord123
    Community Member
    Options

Will do. Have a great weekend.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you! You too :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.