Password auto-fill for sub-domains

harish_ravikumar
harish_ravikumar
Community Member

This is more of a question, than a bug.

There are many websites that operate on sub-domains.
For example:
abc.company.com
xyz.company.com

I have multiple login credentials for abc and xyz sub-domains in the company main domain.

Can the auto-fill suggestions be done based on sub-domains (abc or xyz) instead of suggesting all auto-fill credentials for the company domain?
I understand suggesting credentials for the main domain is preferable for many.

Thanks,
Harish

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Password auto-fill criteria

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @harish_ravikumar!

You are right that 1Password will show you every entry that matches a specific domain, but it should put the entries that match the exact subdomain earlier in the list of suggestions. Does that help?

• harish_ravikumar
    harish_ravikumar
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana Many thanks for your reply.
    I disagree that 1Password puts only the entries belonging to the sub-domain.

In my abc sub-domain, I have 10 credentials and in xyz sub-domain, I have 5 credentials.
    When I login into abc sub-domain, 1Password suggest all 15 credentials, instead of 10.

Regards,
    Harish

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@harish_ravikumar

I disagree that 1Password puts only the entries belonging to the sub-domain.

I am sorry, I probably did not explain myself clearly. I meant that 1Password "should put the entries that match the exact subdomain earlier in the list of suggestions". It will however show you every entry that matches a specific domain, as you correctly pointed out. From my previous message:

You are right that 1Password will show you every entry that matches a specific domain

• harish_ravikumar
    harish_ravikumar
    Community Member

@ag_ana
    Thanks for clarifying.
    Would be happy to see this feature, as it will reduce the number of credentials I need to scroll for some websites.

• jgjverheij
    jgjverheij
    Community Member

@ag_ana this is not how it works in my case (iOS). All entries are ordered alfabetically, and not grouped based on subdomain (or port number). Furthermore, 1password immediately chooses the first entry and does not show all possible entries. On my macbook they are grouped based on subdomain (but not grouped on port number) and shows all possible entries. Show I am happy with the macbook way, but not how it works on iOS.

• @jgjverheij

Are you using the iOS 12 'autofill' feature, or the 1Password "share sheet" extension?

Ben

• jgjverheij
    jgjverheij
    Community Member

@Ben I did not know about the "share sheet" extension. I tried that and it does as mentioned by @ag_ana. However, with websites I have saved only one password it is now more clicks to get the username and password.

Related to this topic: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/517485#Comment_517485 the apps which required to fill in the password twice, are not supported by the "share sheet" extension. Probably the reason for that is mentioned in your comment over there.

• Yep; thanks for sharing your perspective on this. We'll continue to look at improvements which we're able to make on our end, and hopefully improvements will come to autofill and 3rd party apps as well. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.